Insulating over garage ceiling joists.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a garage on the end of a pitch-roofed bungalow which I would like to make into a work shop. The roof is of purlin and rafter construction and there are only three ceiling joists across the 3.5m width of the garage, one at each side by the walls and one in the middle. Ultimately I would like to put a proper insulated floor in above for storage but for now I want a cheap and cheerful way of blocking off the roof void above these joists. I will be putting vinyl on the (uninsulated) concrete floor and making up a frame around the garage door and filling the opening with some spare 100mm Kingspan. I am thinking about tacking some bubble wrap on top of the joists which should stop draughts from the uninsulated roof void and provide some small amount of insulation as a temporary measure for this winter. The garage houses the oil boiler. Any comments from more experienced DIYers would be welcome! Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back