Insulating plastic CH pipes

It makes my blood boil at these so called plumbers (and most plumbers are very good)- but with some they seem to be clueless. mine was a complete ******. I ended up having to redo loads and still had leaks to deal with after he'd left causing me to have to repair brand new ceilings twice.

I'm afraid you've got the equv of two radiators mounted outside your house. If you have a temp sensor take the temp of the flow pipe from the boiler and the temp of the flow pipes at each ground floor rad. You'll then realise how much you are losing.

Two outside radiators - wow! That's going to negate having a more efficient condensing boiler!

Actually he left a leak as well - he left a stopcock dripping in the loft and it started dripping through a light fitting a day later - I had to sort that myself as he'd gone away for Christmas by then!

Sponsored Links
See :
http://webarchive.nationalarchives....mestic_building_services_compliance_guide.pdf

Table 5 P20 (as printed Minimum standard
a.
Pipes should be insulated to comply with the maximum permissible heat loss indicated in the Supplementary
information column, and labelled accordingly,
a follows:
i. Primary circulation pipes for heating circuits should be insulated wherever they pass outside the heated living space or through voids which communicate with and are ventilated from unheated spaces.

Don't let him off the hook this will completely negate any insulation that has been fitted and probably increase your heating costs 10-20%

I'm in Scotland, but I assume there are similar regulations here.

Indeed there is - seem
See :
http://webarchive.nationalarchives....mestic_building_services_compliance_guide.pdf

Table 5 P20 (as printed Minimum standard
a.
Pipes should be insulated to comply with the maximum permissible heat loss indicated in the Supplementary
information column, and labelled accordingly,
a follows:
i. Primary circulation pipes for heating circuits should be insulated wherever they pass outside the heated living space or through voids which communicate with and are ventilated from unheated spaces.

Don't let him off the hook this will completely negate any insulation that has been fitted and probably increase your heating costs 10-20%

Scotland's regulations look identical as far as I can make out:

http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0046/00460094.pdf

It makes my blood boil at these so called plumbers (and most plumbers are very good)-
Thanks for that, I said a couple of days ago on another post that plumbers don't like going under floors :whistle:

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't have been that hard to snap the insulation on while he was pushing the pipe along. To be fair that void doesn't look that unpleasant. I'd probably put a few more retaining clips in at the same time.

Yet another poor quality lazy install and then he gives you bullshit reasons for his bodge.

Wouldn't have been that hard to snap the insulation on while he was pushing the pipe along. To be fair that void doesn't look that unpleasant. I'd probably put a few more retaining clips in at the same time.

It's not bad really - some tight gaps in the dwarf walls to squeeze through if you're not on 1950s post-war rations! There is a strong smell of bitumen down there. He should've done it as he went along - would've been far easier.

Yet another poor quality lazy install and then he gives you bullshit reasons for his bodge.

It doesn't look the neatest and I'm not sure why some of the pipes are so far down into the void, like in this pic - he should have cut the downpipes closer to the joists. But if they are lagged then I won't be too worried.

To be fair to the guy he's agreed that they should be lagged and he's coming back to do it.
20170121_134819.jpg

Yup, regs up here are the same as down south apart from a few bylaw tweeks.

If you had agreed and then paid for insulation and it's not been done then it's a no brainer really, he should make good. Bit of a lazy install TBH, adequate clipping especially at fittings and proper pipe sizing wouldn't have been difficult.

Yup, regs up here are the same as down south apart from a few bylaw tweeks.

If you had agreed and then paid for insulation and it's not been done then it's a no brainer really, he should make good. Bit of a lazy install TBH, adequate clipping especially at fittings and proper pipe sizing wouldn't have been difficult.

I assume you are talking about the length of the pipes dropping down from the radiators - most of them are OK to be fair - apart from the one above which he has lazily not cut to the correct length.

I will insist that he adds a few more clips as he goes along as well.

I'm pretty annoyed that I will have to go down there and check every bit of work as well, since he can't be trusted to do the job properly without being watched like a hawk.

A lot of the joints are under some stress due to insufficient clips and angles. There may even be a risk of air locks depending on what it looks like elsewhere.

I'd have just swept them in without elbows and let them hang. Insulated of course.
That's one of the reasons you use plastic. Defeats the purpose if you start banging on joints.
Use pipe in pipe and it retractable and re placable without going under floors.

Last edited:
So he is going to come and lag them?

Thank goodness!

It makes me so disappointed to hear of these people who don't want to do the job properly.

Even more so when they have already been paid to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back