Insulating plastic CH pipes

Considering how lazy the install looks. You sure he has used pipe inserts.

Sponsored Links
They might not leak straight away, that's the problem.
Remove one fitting and look in the pipe, obviously not easy if the system is full. But it's an area they skimp on because it's not easy to see there missing until it starts leaking.

If I weren't doing mine myself I wouldn't trust anyone unless they had some pride in their work.

Sponsored Links
They might not leak straight away, that's the problem.
Remove one fitting and look in the pipe, obviously not easy if the system is full. But it's an area they skimp on because it's not easy to see there missing until it starts leaking.

If I weren't doing mine myself I wouldn't trust anyone unless they had some pride in their work.

Not really an option as the system is full now! I will ask him when he comes back... but surely as a Gas Safe registered engineer this is not something he should be skimping on!

It takes a lot of care and attention not to miss one!

Problem is you cannot tell without taking a joint apart!

They can then fail at ant time, including years later.

But more of a problem on mains water where high pressures can be experienced. On CH systems the pressure rarely exceeds about 2.0 bar when well operated and maintained.

Tony

It takes a lot of care and attention not to miss one!

Problem is you cannot tell without taking a joint apart!

They can then fail at ant time, including years later.

But more of a problem on mains water where high pressures can be experienced. On CH systems the pressure rarely exceeds about 2.0 bar when well operated and maintained.

Tony

That's why I like the hep2o idea, twist the pipe and it rumbles so you know it has an insert. I guess as a diy I will be putting a lot more attention to it though. But the amount of horror stories is huge, and seems to be the reason a lot say plastic is rubbish, it's the installation that's usually rubbish.

One last thing to check.. there are two types of pipe lagging "economy" and water bye law 49 compliant. The economy is cheaper and less effective.

Does this brand of pipe have the barrier in it? Should be able to check that written on the pipe.

I thought byelaw 49 related to sewage?
https://pla.co.uk/assets/byelaw49draftwebguidancenoterev2.pdf

If you wanted to fit quality tube insulation you'd be using armaflex.
Like this...
Class_O_SS_1024x1024.jpg

The bylaw one is for water supplies that might freeze, but of course it's better insulation in general. I wouldn't worry so much for heating although I forget whether the building regs have any specification on that. I'd just insulate the hot water supply pipes and keep the rad pipes inside the insulation, but as it's a retro fit insulation it's up to you what you insist on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back