Insulating poorly fitted loft hatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My loft is suffering from a build up of condensation in places. I hope roof tile vents fitted but since then we've had new radiators fitted and new windows so the house is warmer. The condensation is back again

So in a few months I plan to have soffit vents fitted which should help. Also the loft hatch doesnt fit proper. It gets caught on a joist. It needs an overlap trimming down. My question is how could I make it air tight and insulate it

What insulation should I use. It has a foil back. Should I use kingspan or cellotex? Normal insulation. Could I have a bead of silicone around the edge so it makes a kind of seal when it shuts? Anything that stops moisture

Sponsored Links
A ridgid insulation board of any type. Cover with tape or polythene, especially the edges, or you'll be forever vacuuming up the bits you knock off.

Draught strip the hatch/ frame. You might need hooks or suchlike to compress the strip and form a seal.

You use the word "insulating"

But to prevent warm, humid air escaping into the loft, you need sealant, foam and draughtproofing

Which is not the same thing.

Also, reduce the amount of water vapour in your house.

Do you drape wet washing indoors?

Does your bathroom extractor work?

Sponsored Links
I just open the window in bathroom when someone is in the bath or shower and not really. We have a dryer which is a condensing one and that's in the utility room which is like an lean to extension on the side of the house. How can I seal the loft hatch totally when I still need access

time to save up for a bathroom extractor fan.

if the wind happens to blow towards your open window, it will push the steam into the house.

As will also happen when a person who doesn't like cold winds uses the bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back