Leaving the loft hatch open?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This is a little off topic, but I was wondering if I'm going to run into problems if I leave my loft hatch ajar in summer?

It takes the heat away from our bedroom, and really makes a huge difference to our comfort at night, but I'm confused as to whether I'm going to get condensation issues.

It's hot up there anyway, and I have ventilation around the eves which isn't blocked in any way. It's insulated, but probably not as well as it could be!

AP

Sponsored Links
As far as i understand its a positivly good idea to help circulation and convection in your house.

should'nt be a problem at all providing any damp cycles

you need weeks off the correct amount off damp to have any chance off dammage

have a look and if after a week you see any condensation look 12 hours later and if its still damp shut the hatch

Sponsored Links
You will only suffer condensation problems in the winter.

You may encounter noise or humidity problems within the room below the hatch.

You will only suffer condensation problems in the winter.

You may encounter noise or humidity problems within the room below the hatch.
Quite common in bedrooms. A ceiling mounted Punkah fan is good :idea:

I leave mine open in summer. It gets pretty hot down here.

My loft is fairly clean, I suppose if you had a dirty unfelted one, dirt could come down in windy spells. When it's hot there is a good airflow.

My loft could not get summertime condensation as it is hotter than the house (i have black slates and live nearer the equator than you)

I'd consider making a summer hatch using a fly screen gauze.

I suppose there are issues about fire safety. The bedroom ceiling protects the roof timbers from fire and delays the collapse of the roof. Opening the hatch reduces the resistance to fire. Maybe building control could insist you install a fire door on your bedroom. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back