Insulating single wall extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's a single brick extension on my house, I can't see any signs of damp or anything but would like to use it as a utility room so would like to put some sort of insulation in there on top of whatever is there atm it's this possible? If so what works I use? I've seen silver paper? You're stuff which I could maybe paint over?
Any help appreciated
Thanks
Bill

Sponsored Links
I doubt that you'd get any discernable benefit from any sort of paint or reflective paper. I think you need to think in terms of a second wall skin, either outside or inside, with an air gap and insulation between the original brickwork and the second skin

Thanks for the reply I am dubious about doing anything inside because its only a small room to begin with, outside wouldn't be easy either as one side is right up to the boundary with the neighbour, what is the minimum that I could do inside?

Possibly resillient bars clad with 12 or 15mm plasterboard or maybe 12mm cement fibreboard? The plasterboard/fibre board would trap a layer of air, about 50mm thick and is itself an insulator, albeit not brilliant. Insulation direct onto the wall can lose heat through conduction.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back