Insulating Studded Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have re built the outer studded walls of my bathroom and insulated them. I had to remove a portion of new plasterboard to fit the new electrics and found a couple of areas of the foil backing was wet on the outer wall but the inner was dry.

Any ideas or suggestions?? I used new loft insulation, is that the problem?

The plasterboard is 9.5mm

Steve

Sponsored Links
hiya m8 yes that is the problem going to have to remove boards gut the loft stuff and go again :cry:

So what would be the best material to use? Insulation Sheets or Rockwool?

Will i keep getting the condensation or should i remove it from this area and leave it empty? :confused:

Outer studded walls

Not clear to me. Does this mean a wall that is an exterior wall or not ?

Insulation does not create condensation, so as far as that goes, the type you are using is irrelevant although there may be other reasons to use different types.

Sponsored Links
You should be using 12.5mm boards over stud walls not 9.5mm; in fact most now use 12.5mm boards for celings as well.

The studded wall is for the divider between the bathroom and hall. The condensation is on the hall side. Insults aside, I used what I could get my hands on.

I suppose it could be the cool air coming from the gap in the porch door which will be replaced with a upvc double glazed door.

OK, now it makes sense.

You need to have a vapour-barrier stopping moist air from the bathroom getting to the hall side and condensing.. The foil-backed pb is on the wrong side, it should have been in the bathroom ( ignoring whether it is green or beige pb )

You either need to use foil-backed pb in the bathroom or put a poly sheet on the warm side of the studs. Between the pb and studs would be best but if they are already up, you could wrap it over the studs as long as you keep it on the warm side i,e, bathroom, pb ,vapour-barrier. insulation, pb, hallway.

Many thanks mointainwalker. The plasterboard with foil is on both sides, in the bathroom and the hall.

I'll have a look about sheet insulation or leave the boards off in the hall until the new doors are up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back