Insulating wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One wall in one of the bedrooms is absolutely freezing - it's north facing, is just the external brick, gap, then lathe and plaster.

I've spoken to a builder about getting it insulated and I just wanted to get some advice as to whether what he's proposing is the right way (I've had a lot of bad luck with builders recently).

He's going to seal the wall (I think), then damp proof membrane then baton out and afix Plusboard.

The wall is 4m x 2.7m and he's quoted me £580 for doing the work (includes sparky to sort out the electric socket and plasterer to skim wall).

Does this all sound reasonable? Will it make a difference in the temperature of the room? The wall doesn't show signs of damp but if you touch it, it's freezing cold and feels wet (but it's not).

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The idea is sound but get one bloke to do the lot. Should come in at about £300 ish.

I can't see why the wall needs to be sealed with a membrane unless there is a damp issue.

The Plusboard can be stuck to the wall directly with adhesive, and no battens are required - which means less space taken off the room

Thanks. Will get a couple of other quotes for comparison - of course, the problem is that a joiner won't touch electrics or plastering, so I don't know if I would be able to get one guy to do it all.

I don't think there's a damp issue - there's no sign of mould on the wall but if something is near it - for example the head of the bed - it gets all sort of mildewed. Does that sound like a damp issue or just a cold issue.

Sponsored Links
Thats condensation.

Your Plusboard might go some way to prevent that in future

Any home maintenance man should be able to do the lot no probs.

Thanks guys. Will go and look at the Yellow Pages for sorta handymen.

If it's condensation, would I need an air gap between the PlusBoard and wall?

And do I need to strip the wallpaper off the wall before all this gets done?

All the existing lath and plaster should be removed back to bare wall and start from there - not just the wall paper.

In fitting the board - whether on adhesive spots or on battens, then there will be a small gap behind which is normal and helps the wall breathe

Removing the lathe and plaster was really the last thing I wanted to do - it's my gran's bedroom and I wanted minimum disruption for her - which is why the guy was gonna baton out the existing wall and then put up the Plusboard.

I know we'd lose a few inches, but it's a big bedroom and wouldn't be noticed that much.

Can we get away with doing that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back