Insulation Advice Needed

M

MopeyGecko

With the weather turning and my first winter in my new flat approaching I'm looking at improving the insulation. There's one obvious place that looks like it can be improved shown in the gallery attached to this post. I think this must be a huge source of heat loss.

I've framed out below the original single glazed skylight and intend to fit some 35mm multi-layer polycarbonate that I have managed to nab off a neighbour who just had a conservatory built.

I would also like to insulate the loft side of the plasterboard here however. My original thought was to cut some 75mm celotex or similar to fit inside the framework but as you can see the woodwork is very irregular and cutting to shape is going to be awkward. I'm currently thinking of using some 50mm mineral type cavity slabs in the framework, leaving a 25mm air gap and then wrapping the whole thing with a multi foil insulation such as superquilt. Does this sound like a good idea or can anybody suggest a better plan? I'll also be laying a second layer of mineral wool over the rest of the ceiling joists.

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
If the loft is not habitable area, no need to insulate between roof rafters, just but down about 300mm depth of mineral wool of loft floor. Try keep eaves clear at soffits, as you still want some ventilation up there.
Cavity insulation and improve double glazing will also help prevent heat loss.

The point of celotex is it's the same insulation for a thinner amount, as prentice says, who cares about space in the loft?

Just wack loads of mineral wool up there, cheaper, easier to fit.

One advantage of the foil faced and rigid foam materials is air does not blow through them, so at eaves, the insulation will not be compramised by cold air blowing through or under it, if you want to be fancy, you could just cut 300mm deep slabs between rafters near the eaves (remembering not to block ventillation), that you mineral wool can butt upto, this may help keep ceiling corners warmer, depending where they are in relation to the loft insulation).

Blue = celotex = brown = mineral wool

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back