Insulation boards in truss loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house (built around 2000) has a hip roof. Most of the loft is filled with trusses but the central area has a series of inverted 'V' joists going up to the top of the roof, creating an open area approx 8'x8'. I was considering turning this into a small, occasional use room (office/man cave) but I'm concerned about the temperature extremes - single figures in winter to well over 30 in summer.

Put insulation board on the entire roof would be an expensive job and I would struggle to do it all due to the limited access in some areas. I was wondering instead about boarding just this central 'V' area, and up the trusses at either end, effectively making a tent-shaped room.

I was wondering how effective it would be in regulating the temperature, or would I just be introducing other issues? I can imagine such a small space getting very stuffy.

I was also thinking of boarding the central part of the roof (front and back), and boarding up the last truss at either end, so again creating a "room" within the loft. It would be a bigger area, so less likely to get stuffy, but still unsure how much it would help with the temperature?

A heater and velux would obviously help greatly, but the latter is outside of my budget at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Only put insulation between the rafters under the tiles only if the room will be heated and ventilated otherwise you will suffer condensation.

Converting a loft is the most costly extension and it puts the least value on the house. Even partially converting the loft will still be costly and I wouldn't like to be sat in there often with no fire escape (appropriate Velux at the correct height).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back