INSULATION: Celotex/Kingspan etc.....ODOUR ISSUES?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: The majority of suspended floors in our new-build and some original floors have been insulated with celotex. I installed a considerable proportion of this myself (using the ubiquitous bread knife!!), following the correct procedures to allow for air-flow, etc. However, over the last year or so, after the addition of a utility room, an intermittent unpleasant seweragey smell wafts around in the kitchen next to the utility area. I have eliminated the majority of possibilities (dead buffalo under floorboards, leaking soil pipes, fluctuating weather conditions, etc.) but these theories are not consistently/logically viable. I thought I would follow up one of my more obscure theories that certain conditions might cause celotex/kingspan to emit odours (dependent on the type of chemicals involved in their processing) and my limited research thus far has discovered several other people making the same enquiry!! Surely, this cannot be coincidence. Naturally, the last people I would approach at this juncture would be the companies themselves ('look out-litigation' alarm bells would be set off!) so, could I ask anyone who has any personal, or anecdotal hearsay evidence on the matter of unusual smells possibly related to the installation of kingspan/celotex to please respond asap! Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
I've not known celotex to be smelly. I've got some sheets in my shed that have been there since Feb 2002!! They don't smell.

Maybe its a ventilation/mould/bacteria issue?

you have a sewage smell in the kitchen?

I'm guessing this kitchen has pipes in it, including some waste pipes that connect to the soil pipe? which carries sewage to the sewer?

I think I can guess where the sewage smell comes from.

Sponsored Links
Hmm a sewage smell in the utility room on a self build! I bet that would have Celotex quaking in their boots! :rolleyes:

I just moved into a new office building and I'm installing Celotex on the walls to prevent sound from bothering the other tenants. Unfortunately, one of the other tenants today complained about a "pukey" smell that started about a week ago, about the time I hauled in the 20 boards of celotex. I guess I've gotten used to the smell but when I asked him to come into my suite and see if that was the smell he was talking about he confirmed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back