Insulation for a flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just removed the ceiling from my kitchen extension and wanted some advice on what to insulate it with.It's about 4 metres X 3 metres with ashphalt covered timber.There are pipes from the boiler leading to the bathroom beyond the kitchen and cables for all the lights and sockets up there.

PA030001.jpg

PA030002.jpg

PA030003.jpg

I plan to get a plasterer in to put up board and skim but what I want to know is what would be best to insulate the space,and also would I need any ventilation in there? There is no ventilation at present as all the edges are sealed i.e. no air gaps around facias.

Thanks,John.

Sponsored Links
You might be better off posting this in the electrics UK forum first.

As below, but you should have ventilation whether insulated or not.

cold%20roof.jpg

Oh my god. Insulate that lot and there WILL be a fire.

Please post in electrics UK first. You have serious issues there, which need sorting before you cover it up.

By the way, does that transformer still work? We had two of those (B&Q 3-pack special?) break, both times the plastic cover had come away from the core and the core laminate had started to split. I would advise if you are keeping downlights, go with mains voltage ones, and loose the Tx.

Sponsored Links
Assuming you sort the electrics out, just pack the whole void with mineral wool insulation, leave no voids (pack it into all the gaps above the rafters) and use a foil backed plasterboard. Ventilation is not required if done this way.

Oh my god. Insulate that lot and there WILL be a fire.

Please post in electrics UK first. You have serious issues there, which need sorting before you cover it up.

By the way, does that transformer still work? We had two of those (B&Q 3-pack special?) break, both times the plastic cover had come away from the core and the core laminate had started to split. I would advise if you are keeping downlights, go with mains voltage ones, and loose the Tx.

The transformer doesn't work,as well as to insulate that was one of the reasons for taking down the old ceiling.

Thanks for the advice about the state of the wiring,I'll post this in electrics uk.Phew,I knew this was going to turn into one of those "simple" jobs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back