insulation in extension wall... solid or rockwool?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From an insulation performance point of view, is it better to go with putting something like foil backed kingspan or mineral wool (rockwool?) in a cavity?

pros vs cons? (assume cost isn't an issue at the moment - i'd rather spend a bit more now and save over the life of me living in the house!)

Best practices for installing ? ties in the middle? seal between joints - vs squashing in mineral wool?

Sponsored Links
I always specify full fill mineral. It's easier to install with a lot less likelihood of being installed incorrectly. Standard mineral batts are approximately twice the thermal conductivity of PIR foam so you need 100mm to be equivalent to about 50mm foam. If you need slightly better to get your u-value up go for one with a better thermal conductivity. Dritherm 34 or 32.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back