Insulation of Hep2O pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to install new central heating pipework and new rads in my house. Most of the pipework will be in the cellar, where the new boiler will be installed. I am proposing to use Hep2O HXX barrier pipe (because it has higher temperature rating).

Question: Should I insulate the pipework?

Sponsored Links
so you didn`t know about the oxygen barrier, then :LOL: .Lag with normal foam lagging ;)

Why dont you use copper pipe which has a higher temperature rating?

Tony

Agile said:
Why dont you use copper pipe which has a higher temperature rating?

I don't want to use copper because of the fire risk in making loads of soldered joints close to the underside of my floor (and Hep is easier to install).

I decided on barrier Hep because I was told that its higher temp rating gave improved heat loss and I could get away without insulation, but I'm now seeking a second opinion on the need to insulate.

The Hep20 website states that Hep pipe has: "lower thermal diffusivity than copper, its insulation requirements are the same as those of copper" which suggests that insulation is necessary, but how necessary is it? Is uninsulated pipe going to make that much difference to my gas bill on my small system?

I've tried searching the Hep website, but the pdfs of some of its technical pages don't download correctly.

Sponsored Links
It's a part L requirement to insulate all pipework outside the heating zone. Doz that arnser yorr qestionne?

insulate as much pipe as possible,use the best insulation and you will save on running costs.

Oh lots of little issues here. Can I be bothered to answer?...... Will try being brief.

INsulation. If you want to do it properly you need the W regs approved stuff which is VERY thick. SO its cheaper to use 22mm pipe than 15 cos of the cost of the insuln.

Fire risk with copper? Eh? Use same connectors as for your hep then no risk. Compression best.
CALCULATE the bloody heat losses from the pipe then do the sums - do you want some heat under your house?

Get figures from Hep.
Decide what's IN heated envelope

Heat rating really aconcern - if so - would it matter if there was a leak in the cellar? Would take 2 stats failures to exceed rating so v rare unless you have a dire boiler.

Thank you for all your advice and comments. My conclusion is to use 15mm Hep pipe, and insulate where possible.

Good on yer mate, so would I. Seems some people are a bit stressed on this forum !

Handyman said:
Thank you for all your advice and comments. My conclusion is to use 15mm Hep pipe, and insulate where possible.
just what I said :LOL: :LOL: I`m not stressed I`ve just been to Spain :LOL: on hols.

Nice one.....I'm heading off myself next week......dont worry - be Happy ! :D :D ;)

Well I've been to effinafrica and I'm still suffering for it so there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back