Insulation of single wall/stud wall bathroom/utility room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening.

Basics- require insulation for single wall construction with stud wall in a bathroom. Do i work from the inside (boards) or from the outside (inject) ?.

If your not too bored already the details follow .

May i first start by saying how staggeringly ignorant i appear to be about this topic. Two hours ago i started reading this forum for hints and tips on a diy solution to the above. Now that i have started to remove my head from the dark place i am terrified and confused with the myriad of suggestions.

I have a circa 1900 terraced hse, with circa 1930 extension to the rear which contains the bathroom/utility room. When i purchased this house 16 years ago it was a requirement to have a cavity wall in this extension (stud wall). At the time the builder asked if i wanted insulation, being STUPID , young and poor i said no. Now as each winter goes by and i get older i feel the cold more.

So what can i do to improve this ?

Extension is split into two, bathroom 3m x 1.4m (two sides external and two windows) utility has about 1m external wall (with large window). Concrete floor. Window sill (?) has a 250mm depth (not sure what size that would make the cavity ) The bathroom is ground floor with a felt roof (guessing that requires insulation as well ).

Sponsored Links
By reading your post, you have confused me on what exactly you are after.
Are you after insulating your external cavity walls?
If so get them injected, don't cost a lot, you may even be eligible for a grant.
google grant
or are you also wishing to insulate stud partitions as well?
If so you will probably need to take off one side of stud to insulate, also you must do calculations on cable sizing and potential deratings of any electrical circuits that are routed within the partitions.

Sorry for the confusion.

I was trying to imply i was open to either options. It would appear i would not get a grant because none of use obtain any state benefits.

It would seem injection from outside is easier, however i only have limited walkway access to rear, no vehicle access (is that a problem?), also i only see adverts for bricked ( both sides ) CI, so i was unsure if the same could be obtained with a stub wall.

We are ready to decorate the bathroom, so do not mind the inside coming out. However my wife might not be so happy. Still my 10 y/o will love it !

EDIT it seems i could be possible wrong about the grant, however it mentions the house must be between 1925-1982. ( i assume that is when cavities appeared in house building )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back