Insulation Query

Ban-all-sheds, do all these repeated long winded arguments over rather meaningless small details not leave you feeling permanently enraged?
Not at all.

You're clearly a quite clever chap, who knows his stuff, so why not just ignore the posts you feel you can't make a meaningful contribution to, and stop getting so wound up?
I'm not getting wound up.

Sponsored Links
Lifes too short to waste arguing the toss day in, day out with virtual strangers on the internet.
But those of us who have got a grasp of his character believe that he takes delight in such activities. Nothing appears to give him more delight than being able to put people down while showing off. He was exactly the same on the Electrics UK forum, where unfortunately he often managed to turn an opportunity to educate into yet another example of turning someone off ever asking for help again. Time and time again this was pointed out to him, but he would never admit that his attitude could possibly be wrong.

A few are curious as to why he's suddenly ceased to be an electrical expert and is now a self proclaimed building expert. Some of us have theories ...

You're clearly a quite clever chap, who knows his stuff, so why not just ignore the posts you feel you can't make a meaningful contribution to, and stop getting so wound up?
As above, he compulsively can't do that. He seems to live for the opportunities such forums offer for putting people down and demonstrating his superior knowledge of whatever field he's chosen to be an expert in this time.

But those of us who have got a grasp of his character believe that he takes delight in such activities.
No - only those who are so incompetent at getting a grasp of anything would believe that - there is nothing IN THE WORDS I HAVE WRITTEN which express delight.

Nothing appears to give him more delight than being able to put people down while showing off.
There is nothing IN THE WORDS I HAVE WRITTEN which are put-downs or are showing off.

Do you "see" them there because that sort of attitude is one which you have, and you just assume that other people share it?

He was exactly the same on the Electrics UK forum, where unfortunately he often managed to turn an opportunity to educate into yet another example of turning someone off ever asking for help again. Time and time again this was pointed out to him, but he would never admit that his attitude could possibly be wrong.
That's because there is nothing wrong with my "attitude" - all the "pointing out" was actually done people like yourself, with desperately flawed views, with ridiculously stupid "interpretations", with a terrible habit of imagining words I'd not written, which they then take to "mean" something in their imagination and then blaming me for the fact that they didn't like their invention.

Not once was any rational or dispassionate explanation SHOWING that my "attitude" was wrong ever forthcoming - each and every time it was groundless criticisms emanating from febrile minds.

A few are curious as to why he's suddenly ceased to be an electrical expert
Have I? What caused me to lose that expertise?

and is now a self proclaimed building expert.
Am I?

I take it you'll be able to quote posts of mine where I have claimed to be, or acted as if I was, a building expert, will you?

No - of course you wont, for you're doing it again - you are just making things up and then criticising me for them.

Where are the FACTS about my loss of electrical expertise?

Where are the FACTS about me claiming building expertise?

He seems to live for the opportunities such forums offer for putting people down and demonstrating his superior knowledge of whatever field he's chosen to be an expert in this time.
Where are the FACTS which support that claim?

Oh and I missed off, if you dare to challenge him, he STARTS SHOUTING as though it will make him look better.

But as to the questions he yelled, all my statements were clearly stated to be opinions based on how he acts here. As usual he starts demanding specific quotes as though opinions of character depend on specific quotes of specific statements.

BAS - if you don't want people to have that opinion of you, then don't act in a manner which makes that a logical inference from your behaviour.

Sponsored Links
Oh and I missed off, if you dare to challenge him, he STARTS SHOUTING as though it will make him look better.
I wasn't shouting, although I accept that that's an accepted term for using capital letters.

I did it because they were very important words I wanted you not to miss.

Please tell me, if I repeat my post without "shouting", will you answer the questions?

But as to the questions he yelled, all my statements were clearly stated to be opinions based on how he acts here. As usual he starts demanding specific quotes as though opinions of character depend on specific quotes of specific statements.
But they do.

They absolutely do.

They absolutely must.

You must not traduce people on the basis of your non-evidential beliefs.

BAS - if you don't want people to have that opinion of you, then don't act in a manner which makes that a logical inference from your behaviour.
But it is not logical - it is anything but.

How about if I don't want people to have that incorrect opinion of me I carry on doing what I have always done, and carry on demanding that people behave logically, rationally and intelligently, and demanding that they stop blaming me for things which are pure figments of their imagination, until every last hard-of-thinking ******* has got the message?

You can hasten that day by behaving logically, rationally and intelligently, and stopping blaming me for things which are pure figments of your imagination.

For there is one thing I can promise you - I am right and you are wrong, and I will never start behaving wrongly just to appease *****wits.

And with that, I rest my case !
I think everyone but BAS will understand.
Understand that you think it is OK to criticise me, and to state "opinions" of my character, when you cannot point to one single piece of evidence which justifies your position, and when over and over and over and over again I tell you that you are wrong?

If over and over and over and over again you never listen to what I say, if over and over and over and over again you accuse me of "meaning XYZ" despite me over and over and over and over again telling you I did not, and over and over and over and over again you criticise me for things which over and over and over and over again I tell you are entirely your inventions, what should my opinion be of you?

I know that you are wrong, and have always been wrong, and it does not matter whether you have been wrong once, or a million times, the frequency of you being wrong does not move you one iota nearer to being right.

That you persist in behaving this way with nothing you can point to as logical or rational justification, and knowing that I've told you that you are wrong every time you do it, shows that you do not give a toss about whether you are right, you just want to be able to say anything about me which you can dream up and then extend the criticism by saying, in effect, something along the lines of "Well I keep telling you things which you know are untrue and invented and you won't believe me".

Let's hope that "And with that, I rest my case" means that we will not see any more of your pathetic behaviour.

knob.

Can't someone deal with this behaviour? How many threads is he going to drag off track, how many people is he going to put off this forum?

It's the same story- he's lurking, waiting for a post he can jump on to point out that the OP is lazy or has a poor grasp of regs. He normally attempts to insult or belittle them without having the moral courage or decency to do so outright.

He then ignores any points other people make and focuses only on what he chooses to reply to, by quoting others' posts to death ad nauseum.

This man (???) is a boring oaf, with an over-inflated sense of his own intellect, who behaves as a child.

I spent three months on my thread before he stuck his nose in, quoted a two month old post and dragged it off topic. As a result of this, I start my new project next week and will be posting it another forum as I don't want this idiot to ruin it!

Someone please do something about this attention-seeking child!

I've decided that this will be my last post on this forum because this idiot is repeatedly allowed to drag interesting and useful threads off topic!

PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!!!!!!

knob.

Can't someone deal with this behaviour?
What? Just writing "knob" in place of something rational and intelligent?

That would be nice.

How many threads is he going to drag off track, how many people is he going to put off this forum?
Which threads have I dragged off track?

Please note that me defending myself against malignant attacks by people who persist in making false allegations against me don't count.

It's the same story- he's lurking, waiting for a post he can jump on to point out that the OP is lazy or has a poor grasp of regs.
I'm doing no such thing. If I encounter laziness or incompetence I will say so, but I do not lurk, waiting, for such posts.

He normally attempts to insult or belittle them without having the moral courage or decency to do so outright.
So when I do not write words which insult or belittle people, you decide, despite the lack of such words, and despite my repeated denials of any intent to insult or belittle, that that's what I was doing, you decide to criticise me for doing something entirely invented by yourself, and then compound the criticism by accusing me of lacking the moral courage and decency to do something which I've told you I had no desire or intent to do.

And yet somehow I am responsible for dragging threads off track?

He then ignores any points other people make
Will these will be "points" made by people who think that just writing "knob" contributes to reasoned and intelligent debate?

Or will they be "points" made by people who, no matter how many times I tell them that they are wrong, persist in telling me that my intent is to insult and belittle?

and focuses other than what he wants to reply to, by quoting others' posts to death ad nauseum.
If you don't want me to quote false allegations and ludicrous febrile imaginings in order to defend myself then don't make false allegations or write posts with ludicrous febrile imaginings. It's that simple.

This man (???) is a boring oaf, with an over-inflated sense of his own intellect,
And you can show where I have made over-inflated claims about my intellect can you? Or is this to be another accusation which you think is OK to make because you've come to a conclusion which has no evidence to support it?

who behaves as a child.
:confused:

I spent three months on my thread before he stuck his nose in, quoted a two month old post and dragged it off topic.
Would you please explain how these posts dragged the thread off-topic?

The only thing I think I recall for sure is if it's over 30 sq metres you're probably going to need building regs.
As you will if it contains a consumer unit or any new electrical circuits.

I did enough research to ensure I needed neither planning nor Building regs.
So no notifiable electrical work then?
I have paid a qualified electrician a good amount of money to fit all of the electrics. They have done so and issued me with an NICEIC test certificate for the electrics- I told them before the work commenced that it all needs to be above board for when I sell the property- they told me that this is what was required, so I trusted them and I was happy with that.
That's fine.

If I do indeed to do more notification in relation to this work, the only error I have made is to trust the word of a professional tradesman.
They will handle the notification for you. Don't know when they finished - FYI you are supposed to receive a building regulations compliance certificate within 30 days of the completion of the work.

I can't really see the point of your post or what value you've added to the thread. Thanks for your participation, though!
The point is that the thread is about a self-build - that might have included the electrics, in which case from your POV the sooner you could have sorted out BR approval the better, and from other's POV it may be a help to know that, despite the truly appalling wording of the Building Regulations, notifiable electrical work remains notifiable even in buildings which are supposedly exempt from the Building Regulations.

Or should we look at what happened after you started writing things like

"Although, I must add that having seen your "helpful" posts in the past, I'm pretty sure that your post contained no real altruistic intent in respect of educating myself or any other visitors to this forum."

and

"I think that in all probability, your post was most likely a thinly veiled (albeit transparent) attempt to belittle someone who you (wrongly) thought you knew better than."

and carried on in that vein despite me (who does actually know what I meant by what I wrote) telling you that you were wrong?

As a result of this, I start my new project next week and will be posting it another forum as I don't want this idiot to ruin it!
Again I would ask you to explain how those posts of mine, quoted above, ruined the thread?

I think the poster needs to devise a wooden frame that can be fixed to the structure above, and fix the insulation boards within the frame with expanding foam. Or fix it under the frame with plasterboard screws, depending on whether headroom is an issue (and bearing in mind that the screw heads will probably pull through the foil - is anything intended to be fixed beneath the insulation, such as plasterboard?)

I'm not sure how much good 25mm is going to do, though; I'd be tempted to find a way of using 50mm.

I think we need more information. And shouting, obviously. Shouting is good.

Cheers
Richard

Ban-all-sheds. Do you not see how unhealthy this is? This isn't normal behaviour man. This is some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder. You're making yourself look psychopathic.

Rise above the urge to nitpick everything. Rise above the urge to post umpteen quotes explaining and justifying yourself. Avoid the temptation to post replies that serve no purpose. If you can't or don't want to help someone, why reply at all?

And if somebody calls you a "knob", either you're being one, or they're not worth the effort of getting yourself worked up about.

Seriously man, sort it out, I'm sure you're better than this.

Ban-all-sheds. Do you not see how unhealthy this is? This isn't normal behaviour man.
Not normal to defend oneself against baseless accusations and character attacks?

This is some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder.
Mmmm.

Who is it who repeatedly refuses to believe the most obvious things about written words, despite being asked to do so, and who is it who feels compelled to obsess about what the words "mean" instead of just looking at the words? Is it I?

You're making yourself look psychopathic.
So steadfastly refusing to accept criticism from people who look at a sentence which contains no terms of abuse, or even the mildest rebuke, and decide that it must be meant derogatorily, and that I must be a troll makes me a psychopath?

I don't think so.

Rise above the urge to nitpick everything. Rise above the urge to post umpteen quotes explaining and justifying yourself. Avoid the temptation to post replies that serve no purpose. If you can't or don't want to help someone, why reply at all?
You would be better of exhorting people not to look for, and "find" spurious motives behind plain statements of fact.

And if somebody calls you a "knob", either you're being one, or they're not worth the effort of getting yourself worked up about.
Or, of course, they think that's the way to behave after they have made up something they don't like, tried to blame me for it, and then find themselves unable to produce any rational justification for it.

I am indeed a lot better than the people who accuse me of trolling, of lying, of denigrating, of belittling, of being psychotic, of being a psychopath etc are trying to make out.

Ban-all-sheds. Do you not see how unhealthy this is? This isn't normal behaviour man.
Not normal to defend oneself against baseless accusations and character attacks?

This is some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder.
Mmmm.

Who is it who repeatedly refuses to believe the most obvious things about written words, despite being asked to do so, and who is it who feels compelled to obsess about what the words "mean" instead of just looking at the words? Is it I?

You're making yourself look psychopathic.
So steadfastly refusing to accept criticism from people who look at a sentence which contains no terms of abuse, or even the mildest rebuke, and decide that it must be meant derogatorily, and that I must be a troll makes me a psychopath?

I don't think so.

You would be better of exhorting people not to look for, and "find" spurious motives behind plain statements of fact.

Or, of course, they think that's the way to behave after they have made up something they don't like, tried to blame me for it, and then find themselves unable to produce any rational justification for it.

I am indeed a lot better than the people who accuse me of trolling, of lying, of denigrating, of belittling, of being psychotic, of being a psychopath etc are trying to make out.

So you don't think micro analysing everything in minute detail with line after line of quotes is just a little bit obsessive compulsive, and could possibly come across as looking just a teensy bit mental?

Edit: I give up man, you're going to give yourself a stress related heart attack or something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back