Insulation resistance on a transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to damage a transformer by doing an insulation test without disconnecting it first. It is one of those large-ish wire wound transformers used on a 12v Wire Track Lighting System, because this is what I did & the cb trips when I turn the light on. Its on a two way light switch. Not sure if it worked before cause its a new installation. Was going to do all the other tests tomorrow but curiosity got the better of me & I wanted to see it working before I left....

Sponsored Links
Did you zap it with a full 500V live to neutral?

What is the VA rating of the trannie?

Is the MCB a 6A type B

err........ yeah :oops:

dont know I'll look tomorrow.

yep.

It doesnt trip everytime, its a bit intermittant.

Big wire wound trannies have a habit of tripping 6A type B MCBs when they are switched on from cold.

If the Zs for the circuit is low enough I'd be tempted to try fitting a 6A type C MCB and see if that cures it.

Sponsored Links
hi
the tranny will probably be ok....
test l-e and n-e as normal
when doing the l-n test open the local switch...

the mcb tripping is the inrush on start up (until the magnetism builds up to oppose the current , the supply "sees" the tranny as a "short")
you need to fit a c type mcb. dont forget to check the maximum Zs as it will now be half of a b type for the same current rating....
hope this helps you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back