Insulation resistance test with transformers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i understand tha an insulation resistance test uses 500v,and the usual advice is to disconnect electronic equipment and led warning lights on switches.it seems there is a lot of people fitting 12v downlights.i know someone who has about 40 spread through the house,so if a spark was testing,would all of the transformers have to be disconnected?

Sponsored Links
It is acceptable according to the ECA to do Method 2 IR test, ie link N & L & test across them to earth.

securespark said:
It is acceptable according to the ECA to do Method 2 IR test, ie link N & L & test across them to earth.

Yes, when doing a periodic inspection report which I guess is what the OP is talking about.

If not then this method can't be used for initial verification of a new circuit.

Sponsored Links
GaryMo said:
If not then this method can't be used for initial verification of a new circuit.

Which is easy enough, you just do the IR before installing the transformers :)

thanks everyone,yes i did mean if they were already installed.

panny300 said:
thanks everyone,yes i did mean if they were already installed.

Then you cant do an insulation test as the transformers will be hanging between L & N. If you try you'll scrog the trannies.

just reading post again and spotted another question,if garymo is correct and you put live and neutral together and test between those and earth,then you havn't tested between live and neutral.
I thought all 3 had to be tested between each other to pass.
as i mentioned i know someone with about 40 Lv downlighters,so lets say they added a few more to the lighting circuit in another room.as i understand it the whole of the circuit would have to be tested,(is that correct).
according to taylortwocities it would blow the trannies if testing between live/neutral.
so was wondering what sparks would do faced with adding lets say 5 lights,then having to take all of the bulbs and transformers out of the rest of the circuit to do their tests.
How many of you would bother with the test?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back