Insulation Resistance testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know your meant to disconnect electronic devices from circuit when performing an insulation resistance test. But if you only do a L+N to earth test will this not damage any electronics in the circuit. I am thinking that there is no potential across the live neutral so there will not be damage. If so would the test voltage matter.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There is still a risk of damage to things like computers due to some filters in their power supplies which are connected to earth. (this is what produces the high CPC currents, and why high integrity earthing is required for computer supplies)

I can't think of a time when you would need to / want to IR test a circuit with computers still connected. I certainly wouldn't want to risk it.

Thanks ,I know what your saying i would plug out any obvious appliances that are visible. Im not asking out of laziness but im worried about electronics that are not known to be connected or that have no isolation or its impractical to disconnect. Aside from the computers you mentioned would there be a problem RF

PIR's, dimmer switches and burglar alarms etc contain electronic components and do not like 500v up em, many use the earth as a reference voltage, that is why you disconnect. The test voltage is important as its in the regs and thats that I'm afraid. You can always leave connected and turn the controlling switch off, marking your test sheet as "tested to local isolaton point". It depends on how easy it is to disconnect.

Sponsored Links
im worried about electronics that are not known to be connected

Always a good idea to test at 250 first, just to show up any loads.
If your tester doesnt have a 250V setting then do a continuity test between conductors to confirm there are no loads present.
Regards

It can kill electronic RCDs, the type often found in RCBOs and SRCDs (sockets with RCD built in), RCD FCUs etc etc. These are normally supplied with a label to attach to the consumer unit warning they should be disconnected before doing IR test.
The bog standard old type RCD which does not have any electronics isn't a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back