insulation testing rcd's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
if you have seen my thredes you will know im working at improveing my instalation practice and currently testing my work (hell of a learning curv)

when insulation testing do i need to disconect RCD's .
pull the wiers) or just swich them of. i am refering to 30 mamp on a split bord if in the on position will conecting phase and nutral protect them and why
My geuse is 500v dc/2 =250 =within limets so what if tested at 1000v dc

in short are all rcd's voltage sensative

what are the implications of testing a domestic 230v ac with insulation test set at at 1000v dc

Sponsored Links
You should disconnect the voltage dependant type of RCD as their electronics can be damaged by IR testing. This type normally has a functional earth wire (cream).
For the good old torroidal RCDs it doesn't really matter.
The 500vDC IR test afaik is more to do with the peak value of the mains sine wave, DC to overcome the capacitive effect of the cable. I wouldn't bother the 1000v IR setting for 230v systems as it may lead to problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back