Insulation..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been googling like made all afternoon trying to find a comparison chart for different types of insulation and the returns you get from it

I saw one somewhere that stated the cost of loft insulation was normally recoverable between one and two years...double glazing 25-30 years!!!

Bit different to what the reps says when they come out isnt it..then again, they are reps!

Has anyone got a decent link to a comparison site?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would think the U value of insulation would be the same for all insulation rolls depending on the thickness of the roll of course.

It is recommended that your loft insulation should be 270 -300 mm thick.

Why are you asking Zampa? :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that..im on the right road now..

I just wondered really..

I recently fitted Celotex inbetween the rafters in the loft..hard to say how much difference it has made but the loft certainly isnt bitting cold anymore.

We have had a bloke round to give us a price on cavity wall insulation..they are doing it in conjunction with the local council so we it was well discounted.

So as we are in 'eco mode' at the moment it has got us talking about the different types of insulation and energy saving.

One I think we will give a miss is solar something like 250 years to get your money back!!

My loft was already insulated with the glass fibe roll type and I boarded over it..a mate just had his done one the grant system..hes got about 8 inches more over the existing...trouble is you cant use the loft for storage anymore

Dunno about 250 years. I did the calcs last year and it was 50 years. Stupidly long, but it will come down as energy prices go up and the technology price goes down.

I was looking to get a photovoltaic installation with a grant. But, the grants are only available if you have 11" of lost insulation, and they only count the insulation on the loft "floor". Rafter insulation doesn't count. As that would mean losing my loft to insulation (it's boarded out), I thought against it.

The only option available to me was the solid board insulation, but that would have cost way more than I would have got back from the grant anyway.

Why they can't count rafter insulation, I don't know!

Donkmeister - i don't understand why rafter insulation doesn't count either - surely all the grant 'people' are looking for is a vastly reduced heat loss from the house - curious!!

We were talking to some 'experts' on the renewable energy subject earlier this year. We were told that solar panels and photovolataic panels are not worth bothering with, they are expensive to install, not very reliable and not all that efficient - if its a 50 year payback you're likely to need to replace the panels before you've paid them off!! Ground source heat pumps are excellent but you need a decent garden for them to be affordable. If you live in a fairly windy location a small turbine would be good, although you might hit problems with planners. I think the renewable energy industry needs to work on the technology and find cheaper ways of producing it so more people can afford it.

We're going for the low energy lighting, and as much insulation as we can fit in!!

Back