Insulting, sarcastic and inappropriate language - this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I refer to a query which was made on this Forum about halogen lights and to subsequent postings.

On three seperate occassions, I have been called 'ignorant', on this forum, by an august member of many postings called 'Breezer'

In modern english usage, to tell someone that he/she is ignorant, is regarded as an insulting statement. This term was used for the first time when a posting was made in capital letters.

Breezer's continued use of the word has added insult to injury.

In our modern world today, violence and killing are endemic. Much of this violence and killing originated in written and verbal insults being hurled around by bigots and irresponsible individuals.

The 'Breezers' of this world and his ilk, who under the cloak of semantics, dose out insults, should reflect on it's consequences. Sadly, the consequences of this bile is felt by other families, while the 'Breezers' of this world sit at their PC desks.

One would like to think that we in the EU are a civilised community. To be labelled ignorant because a posting was made in 'capitals' is simply outrageous. Even more outrageous is the failure of the monitoring committee to rein in the Breezers on this forum.

Finally to Breezer: When I went to school, we were taught that the pronoun 'I' was always written and typed as a capital. Is your persistent use of the lower case 'i' yet another clever and devious device to conceal a super-ego?

I am a relatively new member of this forum. I have received much helpful and useful advice from many members. I am very grateful.
Unfortunately, it appears that there are a few members such as Breezer who are waiting to do a 'Hutu' job on you if you stick your head above the parapet.

Finally one last question! Is this forum the property of 'Breezer'?

Sponsored Links
what does forum rule 2 say?

There you go again proving my point, you really are ignorant, oh and perhaps i should add liar too?,

bauerjan said:
...............Finally, as I leave this forum, I most sincerely thank all the other contributors who were of such help to me.

It takes only one bad apple!

bauerjan said:
I refer to a query which was made on this Forum about halogen lights and to subsequent postings.
I must have missed the thread in question, would you care to provide a hyperlink?

On three seperate occassions, I have been called 'ignorant', on this forum, by an august member of many postings called 'Breezer'
I have not seen anything to suggest that breezer sees himself as a member of esteemed society

In modern english usage, to tell someone that he/she is ignorant, is regarded as an insulting statement. This term was used for the first time when a posting was made in capital letters.

Is it? Looking the word up in a dictionary yields the following defination:

"1.Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed."

If a posting was made in capital letters, it would be quote correct to say that the orignal poster is ignorant of posting conventions on the internet, I'm also intrigued by the thought process that leads to one beleiveing it neccessary to only use upper case characters :confused:

Breezer's continued use of the word has added insult to injury.
Perhaps he was hoping you'd actually acknowledge the point, rather than decry as some sort of insult

In our modern world today, violence and killing are endemic. Much of this violence and killing originated in written and verbal insults being hurled around by bigots and irresponsible individuals.
I'm sure the sections of humanity who are living in war zones will be pleased to hear that the mindset of those responsible for their plight is no different to that of a poster on an internet forum who points out that it is impolite to only type in upper case characters

The 'Breezers' of this world and his ilk, who under the cloak of semantics, dose out insults, should reflect on it's consequences. Sadly, the consequences of this bile is felt by other families, while the 'Breezers' of this world sit at their PC desks.
or, it could just be perhaps that some people are unable to accept criticism

One would like to think that we in the EU are a civilised community. To be labelled ignorant because a posting was made in 'capitals' is simply outrageous. Even more outrageous is the failure of the monitoring committee to rein in the Breezers on this forum.

1) Pretty much so
2) Au contracture - it was quite correct
3) Far from me to explain the minds of our modering team, but it coudl perhaps be that they haven't yet seen anything that breaks the rule

Finally to Breezer: When I went to school, we were taught that the pronoun 'I' was always written and typed as a capital. Is your persistent use of the lower case 'i' yet another clever and devious device to conceal a super-ego?

Surely one who points such a thing out would be aware not to type whole paragraphs in capitals? and to answer your question, I expect its merely just a rather lax way of typing; it should be noted that net etiquette does not require 100% perfect English and while not good, missing upper case letter I's are generally seen as tolerable, while whole paragraphs in upper case characters are not as they are quite hard to read.

I am a relatively new member of this forum. I have received much helpful and useful advice from many members. I am very grateful.
Unfortunately, it appears that there are a few members such as Breezer who are waiting to do a 'Hutu' job on you if you stick your head above the parapet.

Another unfair uncomparison

Finally one last question! Is this forum the property of 'Breezer'?

I don't beleive it is, why do you ask?

Edit: few minor typos fixed

Sponsored Links
[quote removed by moderator]

Now who is being racist? not me.

I also happen to agree with Adam, you just can not accept being critisied can you.

bauerjen, I think you are the one who is trying to bring a 'racial' element into this disagreement.As far as I know the word 'ignorant' is no way a term of racial hatred.
I think you need to rethink your apparent accusations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back