insurance claim not being paid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
As part of a bad pipe burst damaging the interior of my house I claimed for a battery charger/power pack which happened to be in the kitchen at the time. The insurance company would not pay out on this item saying that my insurance didn't cover garage equipment as it was for 'household' items only. This was despite the company employed to clear my house putting this item on a BER list (beyond economic repair) and disposing of it. I cannot see anything in my policy document clarifying this aspect. My insurer just keeps saying that its garage equipment.
Is the insurance company correct in what they have done (said) or is this issue worth pursuing??
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
That's tricky guess it's a matter of trawling or asking them to point out in the policy exactly where they've managed to avoid paying out to you. At least than you can focus on this area. Otherwise you have the insurance ombudsman option which is worth pursuing just in case it works in your favour.
Give them some clear negative publicity on Trustpilot Twitter usual outlets make some noise see if that helps.
I would say arguably its absolutely not unreasonable to be charging your batteries in the kitchen as it has power sockets and there's no regs that say they must be kitchen appliances only you plug in there what you want or need to!
More than likely more than one get-out clause. They are the lowest of the low when it comes to avoiding paying a customer.

Did the insurance company contract the company to clear the house? If so they acted as agents of the insurance company and need to either cover it or return it, or compensate for its loss. Failure to do so gives you a claim for wrongful interference with goods contrary to section 1 of https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1977/32

Sponsored Links
I would say arguably its absolutely not unreasonable to be charging your batteries in the kitchen as it has power sockets and there's no regs that say they must be kitchen appliances only you plug in there what you want or need to!

Good point. For those without garages, are they not expected to charge their gear up then?

Good point. For those without garages, are they not expected to charge their gear up then?

Absolutely Insurance response is 'well you shouldn't be using tools in your kitchen thats for food preparation only, us insurance people have workshops and garages for such tasks'

Hi,
As part of a bad pipe burst damaging the interior of my house I claimed for a battery charger/power pack which happened to be in the kitchen at the time. The insurance company would not pay out on this item saying that my insurance didn't cover garage equipment as it was for 'household' items only. This was despite the company employed to clear my house putting this item on a BER list (beyond economic repair) and disposing of it. I cannot see anything in my policy document clarifying this aspect. My insurer just keeps saying that its garage equipment.
Is the insurance company correct in what they have done (said) or is this issue worth pursuing??
Thanks in advance
I feel your pain, seems harsh by the insurance co..but maybe try and let it go.

Sponsored Links
Back