insurance company insisit on capping cables chases

I have worked on a number of jobs where insurance were involved or providing specs for several reasons.

An insurance spec for a thatched cottage rewire had to have:
Galv conduit in the walls and original Kopex [treated paper/ali/pvc layers] in the loft & contain only 1 circuit.
All cable stipulated as 2 sizes bigger than standard, ie 6mm for ring, 16mm cooker [2" Kopex] & 2.5mm lighting.
All circuits 2 pole MCB and separate RCD.

I did a fair bit of newbuild house bashing in the mid 70's and seeboard would not connect unless 'all exposed metal' was bonded and the b******s even tested door & window hinges and handles.

Sponsored Links
I did a fair bit of newbuild house bashing in the mid 70's and seeboard would not connect unless 'all exposed metal' was bonded and the b******s even tested door & window hinges and handles.
How d'you bond a door handle? :confused:

seeboard would not connect unless 'all exposed metal' was bonded and the b******s even tested door & window hinges and handles.
That must be where David Cockhead served his apprenticeship....

What about things like coat hooks, toothbrush holders etc - did you have to bond those too?

Sponsored Links
seeboard would not connect unless 'all exposed metal' was bonded and the b******s even tested door & window hinges and handles.
That must be where David Cockhead served his apprenticeship....

What about things like coat hooks, toothbrush holders etc - did you have to bond those too?

At the time a lot of things were made of plastic but yes items of this calibre were included. I have heard others say similar things but still don't know whether it was a rediculous local team being a PITA or a general situation.

Did they say or explain why?

So it was the builders problem [read sparks] to get it to the stage they would accept.
Yes, I appreciated that but those in charge really ought to know what they are doing.

Although I have often warned that that assumption should not be made.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back