insurance company insisit on capping cables chases

Even then it wouldn't be fully compliant as the connection would not be accesible for inspection and testing.
Compliant with what? BS7671 doesn't require capping, let alone earthed capping, so why should there be a need for any earthing of capping to be accessible for inspection?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
If you're earthing it then the connection would need to be accesible.

I've never said that capping earthed or otherwise is required. Infact I'm pretty sure I said "capping is pointless"

In that case isn't the insurance man's demand negated as doesn't steel for solely mechanical protection have to be at least 3mm thick?

Sponsored Links
Why? To be compliant with what? I know of nothing in BS7671 which requires any bits of earthed metal (not required by BS7671) in a building to be accessible for inspection, even if they happen to be in the vicinity of an electrical cable - do you?

I've never said that capping earthed or otherwise is required. Infact I'm pretty sure I said "capping is pointless"
I think we're all agreed with that. As has been said, one needs at least 3mm of iron or steel if one is wanting/needing mechanical protection.

Kind Regards, John.

Why? To be compliant with what? I know of nothing in BS7671 which requires any bits of earthed metal (not required by BS7671) in a building to be accessible for inspection, even if they happen to be in the vicinity of an electrical cable - do you?

The metal work does not need to be accesible, but the joint to it would as per 526.3

I don't know why I'm even bothering arguing this point though because it's completely hypothetical.

The metal work does not need to be accesible, but the joint to it would as per 526.3.
I know this is all hypothetical, but I still don't understand.

If there is some bit of metal in my house (say a lintel or RSJ - or even a door knob :) ), which is entirely within the house (therefore not an extraneous conductive part) and, for some crazy reason, I decide to earth it, are you saying the the connection used for that (totally unnecessary) earthing then comes within the scope of the Wiring Regulation?

Kind Regards, John

Where on earth does BS7671 say that if I choose to earth something which doesn't need to be earthed then the connections involved in that unnecessary earthing come within its scope? Indeed, by what criteria would one assess whether the connection was satisfactory - what is the maximum allowed resistance of the path to earth from something that doesn't need to be earthed?

Kind Regards, John.

I'm sorry I've just lost the will to live.
I can understand that, and there clearly is no further progress to be made in this discussion, but I am genuinely confused. I have always believed that BS7671 applied only to electrical installations, and not also to random bits of metal within a property which weren't, and weren't required to be, part of the electrical installation!

Kind Regards, John.

But by earthing it you make it part of the electrical installation!
In the broadest and most literal of senses, I suppose so, but that argument could be taken to even more absurd lengths - to bring, for example, every plumbing joint in a copper plumbing system which was in continuity with the MPB within the scope of BS7671!

Anyway, this is hypothetical on all sorts of levels. Even if someone did decide to install and earth metal capping, the absence of a requirement for it to be earthed would mean that, in practice, no-one would dream of even looking for an earthing connection to inspect, so would be none the wiser if there was such a connection which was concealed!

Kind Regards, John.

As this would not be considered compliant with cable protection regulations in order to omit an RCD on a circuit there would be no requirement nor advantage and little point in earthing it.

Would anyone think it necessary for any other reason?

As this would not be considered compliant with cable protection regulations in order to omit an RCD on a circuit there would be no requirement nor advantage and little point in earthing it.
Exactly, which is why I was surprised at the suggestion that there would be a requirement under BS7671 for any such (pointless) earthing connection to be accessible for I&T - but who am I to know?:)

Indeed, what would you do if it were accessible, and that you did and inspect and test it, but found it to be 'unsatisfactory' (by whatever criteria) - would you then 'recommend remedial work', even though it wasn't required in the first place? None of this makes any great sense to me!

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back