Insurance during building renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm just about to start work on a renovation project on a house thats been un occupied for some years and I was wondering if anybody has an insurance company that would provide buildings cover for a few months whilst its being worked on ?

Any suggestions welcome

Cheers,

Richard

Sponsored Links
All insurance companies will offer cover. Telephone the company presently covering the property and tell them that you will be working on it. (This probably is a requirement of your policy anyway) They will then amend your existing cover accordingly, but may impose a small additional charge, or increase the excess for any problem caused as a direct result of the building work.

Not true unfortunately, after several hours calling around very few will insure an un occupied house, even less if its been that way for years, and even less again if its undergoing renovation.

I have found a broker that has a range of products and I have gone with one of them.

Thanks anyway.

Sponsored Links
Strange, I have halifax buildings insurance, a quick call when I was extending the property and they confirmed cover by letter a few days later, but added a clause increasing the excess for damage caused as a result of the building work. They then called me at regular intervals to see if the work was finished, when it was cover reverted to normal.

I have also had a similar experience previously with other companies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back