What home insurance can you get during renovations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I warned you I was goinng to be a regular now I've got a "project" house !

Just been working through all the pre-purchase admin and thought I'd better check with the Insurance people that they'd insure a property with a pre-existing condition (ie probable dry rot) through renovation. They said they wouldn't and warned me that it was unlikely that anyone would !!!!! I obviously need home cover in order to get mortgage agreed.

I will be living in the property at all times whilst renovations are carried out.

Has anyone come across a decent mortgage broker that can cover this or got any other ideas how to jump through this particualr hoop

Thanks

Guy

Sponsored Links
Hmm, looks like the OP has moved overnight. Obviously South America didn't suit.

I don't know about UK brokers but my own house insurance in France (with a French broker) covers the obvious risks during renovation, but it isn't standard.

You need to decide if you are doing the renovations yourself, in which case you'll be liable (& need insurance) for mishaps, or if builders are carrying out renovations they should have their own insurance.

Incidentally, it is only a gentleman's agreement between insurance companys to only insure in each respective country. At least, that applies to car insurance, I assume there's no difference to property insurance.
So, in theory, there's nothing to stop you using a French (Irish, Spanish, etc.) insurance company.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back