Insurance repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My van went over a piece of breeze block or rubble in March.

It ripped the under carriage pretty bad as i had 400kg in the van. I was only doing 25mph as well.

Anyway i got the van back today and it has a new sump, exhaust, protective covers etc.

The parts bill is £3k and labour is £405 (plus vat).

It has been tested out and all ok.

I drove it about 4 miles before the engine started screaming. I stopped and got them to pick me up.

Back at the garage they had a listen and they reckon it is the bottom end which has gone.

So i am waiting to see what happens now. It sounds like it is a right off as i doubt the insurance company will pay out for a new engine. The van is worth £7.5k, maybe £8k.

I am worried the insurance will play silly games. The garage is one of the insurance companies own preferred centers. The guy there was talking about loosing all the part money, but it sounded like i might loose out as well.

Any idea where i stand in all this? If they write it off do they deduct the parts spend on the van so far ?

Sponsored Links
Pretty sure the insurance co. will cover it - or write it off. I doubt you’ll lose out.

Cant imagine they drained the oil and forgot to renew it. I didnt see any oil light when driving for 20 mins before it started.

Dont you get a lousy low pay out though if it is a right off ?

Sponsored Links
Just had a look on autotrader, shows the same van with more miles to be way over what i paid for it last spring.

I paid £8k inc vat for a LWB citroen berlingo van with 13k miles and 5 yrs old.

An older van with 61k miles is selling for £8.3k on autotrader. I am going to be well out of pocket. I think i insured for £8k only.

It seems van prices have gone up in a year.

OK yes I work in Insurance but Not in vehicle Insurance.

The Insurers preferred [and owned] repairer has inspected the initial damage, and assessed the vehicle as being repairable

Fine so far, so repairs were initiated and completed.

Vehicle is then cleared to be "safe to drive" and is returned to the owner in a "Pre-incident" condition.

Vehicle handed back to owner, having had a clean bill of health, Safe to drive and driven away.

Vehicle driven a short distance, and breaks down.

Consider this, who signed of the "REPAIR" ? meaning the vehicle was fully repaired clearing all the damage incurred, this is the catch, someone [an accredited agent of the Insurer] passed the vehicle as fit for purpose, it was not.

Upshot the insurer has to put you back to the position you were in before the incident as I see it they cannot now say your van is not repairable, because the insurer has already accepted that the van was repairable, the insurer screwed up the diagnosis of the extent or repairs needed, BUT??? having accepted the claim, the Insurer has to carry on and undertake a "FULL" repair.

Hope this makes sense??

Ken.

Thanks it makes sense.

I just picked up that the repairer has cocked up and when that happens you often get the fallout. I hope I am wrong and all goes well but I am a bit worried. Especially looking tonight at van prices. They have jumped 25-30% in a year

Trevor, good evening.

If you feel like it, can you come back with the result from your insurer??

Ken.

Still waiting to hear the result of the engine check.

But potential good news in that the insurance company has to payout what it would cost to replace the van at todays prices. So that means it is going to be around £11k to get the same van approx. They will offer trade rates though, so i need to give them lots of info about van prices out there.

Still waiting to hear the result of the engine check.

But potential good news in that the insurance company has to payout what it would cost to replace the van at todays prices. So that means it is going to be around £11k to get the same van approx. They will offer trade rates though, so i need to give them lots of info about van prices out there.

Would be cheaper for the insurance to put a new engine in your van. A new engine certainly won't be 11k

If they don't repair it then don't just accept their first offer, my van got wrote off a couple of years back, they started offering me something like 1800 and eventually went up to 2700.

My neighbour got a whole new engine on his insurance in his Merc van when he drive through flood water and bent the rods.

244085.jpg

Hello Sailor!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Andy

Sponsored Links
Back