INTEGRAL GARAGE CONVERSION......with a difference!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bit of advice needed if possible please!
Hard to imagine , this, but here goes.......
A bungalow (early 70's) built into the side of a hill; double garage BELOW the floor. Similar to split level construction but all the accommodation on the first floor I suppose?!
I'm looking at the possibility of converting the garage into probably an en suite bedroom with access internally - obviously a staircase.
I know there will be building reg issues regarding things like insulation on the walls and floor, and lighting and ventilation etc etc, BUT could anyone give me any advice please on the basic requirements regarding means of escape? Will it be permissable for example to have the only actual exit as this new internal staircase, even if there is a good sized window available as a secondary m.o.e., or will an additional door to fresh air be required? :eek:
Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
The means of escape from a basement (Sounds like your arrangement) is similar to the principle used for 1st floor bedrooms i.e. escape window to the outside meeting the minimum opening size/sill height or a protected hallway (fire doors etc). It is hard to give an accurate answer without a sketch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back