Integrated dishwasher nightmare - won't go back into unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm back... still 28 days later with an unfinished kitchen (see other posts, which got rather long.)

We were on the home stretch with just some doors, filler and plinth to add and the integrated dishwasher to connect up.

We've had issues with the cut out of the hob in the worktop being much closer than I specified to the end wall and the 1st fitter had left a whisker between the oven drawer opening and the back door architrave. Anyway we had to pull out that side of the rooms units to get at the poor plumbing the 1st fitter had done and the 2nd fitter put the units back further to the left by 1cm. This meant the water inlet valve of the Dishwasher was now back in the DW unit rather than the sink.

So when it came to the 2nd fitter trying to push the DW back into place on Wed night, he alerted us to the fact that it sticks out by about 1.5" from the carcass, meaning when the door goes on, it will stick out even more!

I nearly burst into tears as this kitchen has been such a nightmare to install and I now have only 5 weeks till my baby's due date and am suffering from all sorts of stress.

So we got our 'amazing' plumber back who is only available evenings and weekends, as has a full time job in plumbing too, and he begrudgingly came alone with his plumber/gas safe bud today (Sat Lunch). I told him we needed the stock cock rotating out the way as that was stopping the DW going back, but that the fitter also suspected the water inlet valve was preventing it going back also. I"d mentioned this to the plumber in a text but when I did so today he said he'd only come to turn the stop cock and sounded a tad annoyed.

So he rotated the stop cock and pushed back the DW and suddenly a massive splurge of water! Luckily he'd installed a water stop switch in the sink unit next to the DW unit and just flipped that and it stopped, as the stop cock is in the DW unit and inaccessible.

It turned out the water inlet valve had been turned on by the DW going back. His solution was to connect up the DW and turn it back on and leave (as he was on his lunch break from another job).

My OH then tried pushing back the DW again and it still won't go in far enough. It is now about 3/4" out and the inlet valve defo needs repositioning.

So taking into account my plumber has described this as a nightmare job and didn't really seem to care about doing a proper job today, I guess I'm going to have to get a new plumber, even though we've paid him £145 now to install our sink and alter some pipework behind the dishwasher, which was done well.

Does anyone in the trade think I should get our guy back as he hasn't finished the job we asked him to do, risking further annoyance on his behalf, or just cut our losses and pay call out and labour fee to get this pipe sorted properly + getting a good plumber short notice is not going to happen so that's further delays?

In my pic's i've attached you can see the metal back of the DW touching the valve and the way the valve pipe comes out at a angle from the wall.

View media item 91150 View media item 91148 View media item 91157 View media item 91158 View media item 91159 View media item 91151 View media item 91152

Sponsored Links
Op, where in the world are you? If manchester then I'll come round and do the plumbing for a bottle of plonk :)

Sponsored Links
Ah, sorry, no where near Manchester I'm afraid. More like Hull! Lol

Do any of you think my original guy who does great soldering (when he starts a job) should finish this within the £145 we've given him (original request is in a text to him for altering bad pipe fitting, connecting sink and tap and integrated dishwasher) despite it going wrong with him not being familiar with ikea waste fitting and it taking in all about 8hrs of his time over 3 days, or should I cut losses and pay more for a new guy to solve this? It seems to me that of it cost say £60 - £80 for a new guy on top of £145 that this is a lot for work in one localised area? I mean it isn't our fault about the fact that he's learning a new product, is it? Or is this not how it works?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back