please help me find the right part so I can use my DW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

The plumber let me down just before my kitchen install so I had to extend the plumbing myself (or face even further delay with the install, which I just cannot afford). In short, I started off with a DW on one side of the kitchen, fed by a single cold water feed with a single 40mm waste pipe. The waste pipe ran horizontally but was capped at the end with a sort-of screw-on cap thing. The DW waste was attached to the pipe with a self-cutting waste.

I needed to extend this to add a WM along the same wall. I have sorted out the cold water feed plumbing OK, but I'm really struggling with the waste. I assumed that I'd have to have a U-bend somewhere in the waste pipe (there was none previously) so I fitted this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-appliance-trap-40mm-white/95241

The problem is, there is no sink on that side of the kitchen. If I turn the DW on, the water just spews out of the top hole, which I assume is supposed to accommodate a sink. No problem, I thought: I'll just find a plug for it. But I can't. In hindsight it looks like I bought the wrong bit of kit, but as it is all plumbed in now and the kitchen units are installed, is there an easy fix here? Surely there is an additional piece I can buy that simply allows me to cap off the open main hole?

Thanks in advance - I'm out of clean clothes and dishes, so it's starting to get a bit urgent!

Sponsored Links
Thanks, but how do I then connect the dw and wm? I'll just be left with a grey wastepipe with a plug in it?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Something like that would be fine if I just had one machine but I have my dw next to my wm. I don't think a standpipe can accommodate both

http://m.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-drain-out-kit/75883

That, into the side of the standpipe (about a third of the way down to avoid water being forced out of the top).
Will handle both draining at the same time, no problem.

Put the washing machine into the standpipe and the dishwasher into the drain-out kit.

Or do what I did and get a 135° tee and a 135° bend and make two standpipes. Better because the drain-out kit can get clogged more easily than a 40mm pipe:

2014-07-31210121_zps7e2199c0.jpg

Hi all.

I'm at my wit's end with this. I did the same as the picture shown, but it leaked. I got a plumber in, who attached the DW waste to one of the standpipes with one of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-drain-out-kit/75883?_requestid=143663

It leaked. (I'd asked two other plumbers to look at it too whilst they were doing other work - neither did). I got fed up with the shop-bought waste traps (which were leaking) and created my own u-bend from solvent weld. So, I now have a compete system from solvent weld, a bit like the picture above. It works fine with the DW, but when the WM comes on, there is just too much water in the system and it pours out over the top of the standpipes. I cannot lengthen the standpipes - they are already the height of the cupboard, there is no way I can go higher.And in any case, there is effectively double the capacity now because there are two standpipes feeding the same u-bend. The water being pumped out of the WM alone is enough to cause the problem, even though the standpipe capacity is basically doubled as the water will presumably rise equally up the DW and WM standpipes

I've run out of plumbers and options, so my questions are:

1) Do I have to have a u-bend in the system?

2) If so, can I connect the WM to the waste pipe after the u-bend, with a drain-out kit?

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

First of all, sorry it hasn't worked out for you.

A washing machine draining a drum full of water shouldn't cause an overflow - as I mentioned, I have that setup pictured and I have no problems draining both appliances at the same time.

I'd suggest you have a problem further downstream.

There is a possibility that the disc of plastic that the drain-out kit cutter removes has fallen into the pipe and is now stuck somewhere, restricting the flow.

What diameter is the pipe?

-

Yes, you need a u-bend to prevent smells from coming back up the pipe.
As you may be about to find out, it needs to be able to be taken apart so you can unblock it.
Shop-bought u-bends shouldn't leak if installed correctly. There's very little to go wrong.
Where were they leaking from?
If it's just a slow drip, try some of THIS on the sealing washers.

Thanks. I agree, I'm amazed that it's causing an overflow. It's like something from a horror show - I sit there for an hour waiting for it to drain... then slowly, foam starts to rise and bubble out... then the water just pours out.

I've got another plumber (4th one!) coming around to see what he can do about it. The pipe is 40mm. I knew it was a bad idea to put in a solvent weld u-bend when I did it really, but I was getting so fed up of the dishes building up while plumbers simply didn't turn up or failed to fix it.

It's hard to tell where the trap was leaking from. The plumber said that it was fine, but a day later the cupboard was soaking again. It's definitely the waste pipe, not the water supply.

You need to check the waste pipe is cleared and no build up of muck inside it. What is the length from the trap to the soil stack ?

Daniel

So, the fourth plumber basically agreed with you guys. He said that there is no way that the setup I have should be overflowing, and that there must be a blockage or some uphill section somewhere causing a problem. He drilled a hole in the side of the house and re-routed the waste, and it all works fine now.

Thanks again for your help with all of this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back