Integrated fridge & freezer as support for worktop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was hoping someone could advise on my kitchen project -

I'm finishing building a kitchen with a 240cm x 4cm hardwood worktop that's supported at the back and the left side by the battens on the wall, and at the 60-120cm from the left by an Ikea base unit. At 120-240cm I only have an integrated fridge and freezer for support. These are built-under rather than to be housed in a unit. I think the fridge is Teka FLBU 150 or something. I guess the question is - are these things designed to support weight? How else are you supposed to support a heavy wood worktop?

If they don't support weight, then I presume I need a weight-bearing end panel somehow. Originally I was just planning on a 15mm-thick Ikea panel, but I'm not sure this would take much of the 300-pound weight of a worktop (or the party guests sitting on it!)

Sponsored Links
I used these

The 25mm type with the chrome end brackets will be strong enough for your guests, and the chrome pole will not look out of place in a kitchen.

dave [/url]

your 15mm end panel will support plenty of weight as long as it is directly vertical. However if there is any sideways force (e.g. people climbing on and off) it is liable to tear out and topple over. If you fix the worktop to the wall as well it will be restrained.

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much for the advice. I think I'll go with the end panel, because there isn't very much space available at the end of the worktop - there's no real overhang. If I bracket the panel in strongly, that should help to stop it going anywhere.
Cheers
Reece

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back