Fridge on a worksurface?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me please whether a 3cm deep worktop sitting on top of a kitchen unit on one side, and then supported on the other side by a baton against the wall would bear the weight of a larder fridge? The width of worktop we are talking about is about 55cm - the sort of worktop you would pick up at b&q for around £35 a length. I need to put a larder fridge about 110-120ish cm tall on it, for member of family who cannot bend down)I know thats tall, but the top shelf would obviously be about 9" lower and the person is tall.
I just need to be sure the worktop wont just crack in half - I dont know how strong they are. Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
make sure it has rubber between worktop and feet to avoid movement and vibration

the weight is actually carried by the 3" each side where its very strong rather than the center span :cool:

Thanks both of you. Do you mean like a square of rubber under each corner of the fridge beneath its rubber feet - or maybe only if the particular fridge doesnt have rubber feet?
Its good news about the weight issue though. I worried that either the work surface would crack, or the wall baton might be dragged down , or the supporting upright of the floor unit on the other side might belly out and cause a collapse! Great help thanks.

Sponsored Links
it may already have rubber feet
its just the the hum from the motor and of course the tendency to move so a mat or four small pads

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back