Integrated washing machine and tumble drier next to each other

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just fitting my new kitchen. Have fitted my last three but this is the first time I have fitted built under integrated appliances. Will have a corner cabinet, sink cabinet, then the integrated washing machine, integrated dryer and finish with a Drawer cabinet.
I have end panels for the side of the sink unit and the drawer unit nearest to the appliances but do I need to put anything in between the appliances such as another end panel. Otherwise the doors would but up to each other or appear to have a gap between them. Spent a good two hours looking on the internet but no joy.

Cheers
Westy

Sponsored Links
An end panel between the integrated units is always a good practice. But as you've already got some end panels, stick them in loose, and see how it looks.

Thanks for answering Doggit. If I were to put an end panel in between would you just secure it to the worktop or put some kind of bracket on the wall or a wood batten or something.

If you had a free standing washing machine (for instance), then you'd fit the end panel to the rear wall and the work top with at least a couple of small angle brackets - and even possible to the floor if you could, as washing machines tend to travel at times, but if you've got integrated units, then you'd place the end panels in between the integrated units, then the screw through the units and the panel in to the next unit. This method assumes that you can fit the appliances in to the units afterwards. If the appliances have got the be fitted in first, then you fit the unit nearest the corner, then screw the end panel to that unit, then fit the next unit and so on.

Sponsored Links
you'll need two panels between the appliances one for each door to close against

Not so guys - although sometimes, but not always. It depends on what the integrated appliance is, and what aesthetic look you're after - which is why I suggested loose laying the cabinets and testing the effect.

Whilst a fridge will have a side opening door, a dish washer will have a downward opening one. And as doors normally close on to their own cabinets, so have no line in between, some integrated appliances will work the same way. You'll either get guidance from you're kitchen unit supplier, or work it out as you go along.

Our integrated washing machine is the same 600mm width as it's door (ok the machine is a couple of mm 'wiggle room' narrower) and the door fixes on to the front of the machine, and also closes flat against the front of it, with no need for a vertical panel for the door to close against. Indeed if one fitted a vertical it would be 'outside' the 600mm width, and the door wouldn't 'reach' it.

However, if you're fitting two appliances side by side like this, bear in mind you'll have 1200mm of worktop with no support underneath it so it could sag over time if you put heavy things on it. Personally, I'd fit an end panel between the two as support, but I'd bring the front edge out to the face of the units.

yes thinking about it doggit and alan are correct some appliances only have doors as wide as the appliance, you will need to see which you have.
But as suggested having two appliances next to each other you will probably need some support between probably with an end panel brought to the front flush with your doors

I think the panel in the middle is the way to go but will check appliances and see but thanks all for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back