integrity of joists when installing wc macerator pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear knowledgeable users - i am hoping for some guidance regarding a home improvement challenge i have.

I have an en suite with no WC which is located at the opposite end of the house from the soil stack. Unfortunately i do not own lands outside this elevation and would therefore have to discharge using a wc macerator. Whilst saniflo tell me i can use a 22mm flexible speedfit discharge pipe, the 6 inch joists run opposite to the direction of the intended outlet.

My question is therefore whether i can drill a 22mm hole through each of my floor joists (near enough the whole length of my house), which by nature of the required fall (1 in 100) would mean drilling at various depths through the joists. All options welcomed including reinforcing the joists.

many thanks

Sponsored Links
maximum 25% central[38mm 1 1/2"]around 15-25" away from the wall

Sponsored Links
Rather than lifting boards and drilling loads of holes in your joists you could always remove the skirtings and reform them into a shallow boxing in which the pipe could run.

maximum 25% central[38mm 1 1/2"]around 15-25" away from the wall

PLEASE COULD YOU CLARIFY IN LAYMANS TERMS WHAT THIS MEANS. THANKS

not in the first or last 1/6 off the span or the centre 1/3 or there abouts not the exact measurements lol

you are not allowed to exceed 25% off the 6" or what ever the depth is and must be along the centre line

if you have say 13 ft span [156" 1/6th is 26"from each wall ]
centre1/3=52-104"
so you can drill between 26to 52" on each end off the span but only very approximate ;)

ok not the first 25% or centre 20% so on a 156"joist not the 39" inches each end or the centre so from 39 to around 62" each side

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back