Intercom assistance!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm hoping I've posted this in the right topic...

We've recently moved into a house that has been wired up with intercoms connected the door entry. We're not particularly bothered with opening the front door remotely but what we'd like to do is be able to call the other intercoms from one of the handsets. We have approx 6 handsets in the house and you can talk to each other on them but I just can't see how to ring the others. I don't mind ringing them all instead of just one... Any ideas? :)

The system is LT Terraneo 600.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
hi has your handset got a spare button at the bottom ? if so connect a wire to number 6 ( buzzer) in your hanset and a wire from the other terminal to number 3 ( common ) this should make all the handset buzz try this first on one, then repeat for all the handsets

The most common way door intercoms are wired is for the cable from the door to have 3 or 4 speech wires that go to all handsets and separate buzzer wires that go each to one buzzer. If the cable at the handsets has all the buzzer wires then you can selectively call other handsets.

If there are "spare" wires in the cable going to your handset that are not connected to anything in your handset then they might be the buzzer wires for the other handsets.

There may be a problem with infringig privacy if the ringing the buzzers also enables speech circuits in the handset being called and enables you to hear the other handset before it is picked up ( hands free option ). Un-likely but needs to be considered.

Sponsored Links
Anyone walking past the front door will also be able to overhear the conversation.
Valid point which applies to all the handsets as well. Whispering sweet nothings to the blonde downstairs is not secure ......

If communication between flats is as important as communication with the door then think about a small office / domestic telephone system.

Leave the door system as it is and use something like

http://www.discountphonesystems.co.uk/acatalog/Orchid_206_PABX.html

between the flats ( it doesn't have to have an outside line connected to it ).

Other types have door units but few of these can selective call extension, most have one button that either rings one designated extension or rings all extensions.

Thanks all, privacy is not a problem as its one house that only us live in. I just want to be able to call te kids to tell them dinners ready rather than shouting up and still not being heard...

Maybe one of these

j-arthur-rank-gong.jpg

And besides they should be ready sitting at the table by dinner time. If not they go hungry....... :evil:

Thanks all, privacy is not a problem as its one house that only us live in. I just want to be able to call te kids to tell them dinners ready rather than shouting up and still not being heard...
Oh for heavens sake, tell them that dinner is at *o'clock, if they don't arrive promptly, in the bin it goes. If they can't tell the time, they soon will.

It's called discipline. It never hurt any one.

@ europlex.

I don't need any advice on parenting styles thanks, I think you're on the wrong forum... The children are up on the third floor and there are intercom handsets in their rooms. It would just be a lot easier to call them rather than try shouting up two sets of stairs, not just for dinner!

Thanks to others who actually gave good advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back