Intercom - door buzzer on/off (mute) switch

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello,

I have a intercom buzzer to my apartment . The delivery people always ring my buzzer from the street, and there is no mute or on / off button on the intercom headset.

I want to add a on/off switch to it, so that I don’t get annoying buzzes on my door anymore.

Iv attached photographs of the outside and inside of the buzzer intercom .

Can someone please tell me how to add a on/off switch to this , which wires I need to add it to, etc?

Thankyou!!!!!!
IMG_1580.png
IMG_1578.png
IMG_1577.png
IMG_1576.png
IMG_1575.png
IMG_1574.png
IMG_1573.png
IMG_1572.jpeg
IMG_1571.png
IMG_1570.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I guess the speaker makes the buzz?

Switch on one of the speaker wires

Here are the photos of the intercom headset

Attachments

• IMG_1580.png
    IMG_1580.png
    861.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1570.png
    IMG_1570.png
    1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1571.png
    IMG_1571.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1572.jpeg
    IMG_1572.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1573.png
    IMG_1573.png
    989.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1574.png
    IMG_1574.png
    942.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1575.png
    IMG_1575.png
    982.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1576.png
    IMG_1576.png
    1 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1578.png
    IMG_1578.png
    1,013.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1577.png
    IMG_1577.png
    1 MB · Views: 41
A switch on one of the speaker / buzzer wires would work,
I think it looks as if your speaker has two spade terminals going to it.
Pull one of those spades termonals off the speaker and tell us if the intercom is now silent.
SFK

Sponsored Links
Thanks SFK, I can add a switch there ? The power to the buzzer turns off in the basement I think but I can’t access that switch . The current running through these things is usually weak?

A switch on one of the speaker / buzzer wires would work,
I think it looks as if your speaker has two spade terminals going to it.
Pull one of those spades termonals off the speaker and tell us if the intercom is now silent.
SFK
Thanks SFK, I can add a switch there ? The power to the buzzer turns off in the basement I think but I can’t access that switch . The current running through these things is usually weak?

Pulling that spade termninal off the speaker will be (should be) safe.
Best practive is to keep fingers away from other wires.

Yes, If removing it makes it quest then you can put a switch there.

You could use a spade termonal kit like this so it is removable in the future.

Sfk
Ok thankyou. Do you think it is possible to put a neat safe switch there on the side of the phone that is accessible from the side of the phone ? By drilling a small hole and fixing it there? And without wires being near the switch ?

Do you think it is possible to put a neat safe switch there on the side of the phone

Yes, I do.
If it was me I would get a switch like this with spade treminals (I searched for: switch spade), and a spade terminal kt.

Pull one wire from the speaker, join this wire to the switch. Put a wire from the switch to the speaker.
This switch will then turn the speaker (and only the speaker) on and off.

BUT have you tested pulling one of the wire from the speaker to silence the phone?
I cannot see behind the speaker in the images and so I am making assumptions about how the speaker is wired.
There is a good chance that the 'buzzer' that is making the loud noise is item in the bottom right corner labeled 12V AC.
And this might be the item that needs a switch on it.

SFK

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Yes, I do.
If it was me I would get a switch like this with spade treminals (I searched for: switch spade), and a spade terminal kt.

Pull one wire from the speaker, join this wire to the switch. Put a wire from the switch to the speaker.
This switch will then turn the speaker (and only the speaker) on and off.

BUT have you tested pulling one of the wire from the speaker to silence the phone?
I cannot see behind the speaker in the images and so I am making assumptions about how the speaker is wired.
There is a good chance that the 'buzzer' that is making the loud noise is item in the bottom right corner labeled 12V AC.
And this might be the item that needs a switch on it.

SFK
Hi SFK,

Thanks for your message. I’ve just removed one of the wires to the speaker , and while doing that I noticed the other wire going into the speaker was actually not connected to anything except the speaker. I couldn’t see if the one I removed was connected to anything except the speaker either, but I have a feeling it wasn’t either. The speaker was I think just sitting in there not connected to anything by the spade wires.

I’ve attached some photos now of the detached speaker and the wires behind the speaker.

I also found the manual and have translated it to English. Though I’m having trouble working it out.

Interestingly , the buzzer still buzzes my door, I can also still buzz the downstairs down open. And also, I can still talk to the person at the street level and hear them perfectly . So seems the speaker and mic pieces must be in the handheld phone handset part. I’m not sure what that speaker was doing that I removed.

The thing labeled ac12v in the bottom right, if that’s the buzzer, is sort of welded in I think , it’s not wired with those same spade wires. But above it I can see 2 grey blocks that’s the brown wires running to it are coming out of , so maybe I can remove the connection there …. I think I can touch those wires going into the grey blocks with my hands ? I checked the voltage going through the screws at the wires in the middle and they reach 12v and then checked the wires to the speakers and other connections are they are 6v

Attachments

• IMG_1616.jpeg
    IMG_1616.jpeg
    266.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1611.jpeg
    IMG_1611.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1612.jpeg
    IMG_1612.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1613.jpeg
    IMG_1613.jpeg
    287.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1614.jpeg
    IMG_1614.jpeg
    301.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1615.jpeg
    IMG_1615.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1617.jpeg
    IMG_1617.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1618.jpeg
    IMG_1618.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1623.jpeg
    IMG_1623.jpeg
    731.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1622.jpeg
    IMG_1622.jpeg
    856 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Here is the voltage running through it when I put the voltmeter against the grey block running to the buzzer and one against the wire in the middle (6v) and another one running at 12v when I put voltmeter against two screws in the middle

Attachments

• IMG_1620.jpeg
    IMG_1620.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1621.jpeg
    IMG_1621.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 28

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back