Getting wire out of block - intercom - adding on / off switch (mute)

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello,

Any help appreciated.

This is a new post on a different problem related to the adding of a mute switch (on/off switch) to an intercom phone inside an apartment.

Photos are attached.

Postmen keep ringing my doorbell from the street to deliver other people’s packages. There is no mute button on the intercom and I want to be able to turn off the intercom so I am not disturbed by the buzzer ringing all the time.

I think the buzzer is 2 of these 4 brown wires going into the grey blocks in the photo attached. I want to add a switch here. However I can’t get the brown wires out of the grey connector blocks! I can’t cut these wires as they are already very short as it is.

I can’t turn off the fuse but the voltage is showing as 6 or 12v with a voltage screwdriver tester tool, so it looks like I can work on these with the power on as it’s a weak voltage.

How normally would you remove these wires? And would you connect more wires to the switch which connect to these wires via another connector block? (I need to run the switch outside of the intercom phone casing).

Thanks !

Attachments

• IMG_1613.jpeg
    IMG_1613.jpeg
    287.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1614.jpeg
    IMG_1614.jpeg
    301.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1617.jpeg
    IMG_1617.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1616.jpeg
    IMG_1616.jpeg
    266.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1620.jpeg
    IMG_1620.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1621.jpeg
    IMG_1621.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1607.jpeg
    IMG_1607.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
How normally would you remove these wires?
Undo the terminal screw (or am I missing something?).

You could prove that is the correct one to remove, by having someone press the button, whilst you listen.

And would you connect more wires to the switch which connect to these wires via another connector block? (I need to run the switch outside of the intercom phone casing).

Add a small connector to the wire, plus a wire to your switch, then one back from the switch to the terminal you removed the wire from.

Thanks Harry, there’s no screw in the grey block. I’ve tried twisting it but that doesn’t work. Neither does pulling it . Not sure how to remove it. I can’t cut as it it’s already very short

Undo the terminal screw (or am I missing something?).

You could prove that is the correct one to remove, by having someone press the button, whilst you listen.

Add a small connector to the wire, plus a wire to your switch, then one back from the switch to the terminal you removed the wire from.
Yes I’ll try testing it first before adding the switch. Thanks I’ll do that with the wires and the switch to the terminal

Sponsored Links
Thanks Harry, there’s no screw in the grey block. I’ve tried twisting it but that doesn’t work. Neither does pulling it . Not sure how to remove it. I can’t cut as it it’s already very short

I see a row of screws, one for each terminal, in your photo..?

I see a row of screws, one for each terminal, in your photo..?
Ah ok, I was assuming I ran the switch from the 2x grey blocks on the right near the buzzer at the bottom right . But you think I can run it from the appropriate screw connection in the middle instead?

Ah ok, I was assuming I ran the switch from the 2x grey blocks on the right near the buzzer at the bottom right . But you think I can run it from the appropriate screw connection in the middle instead?

I understand a bit better now......

The sounder/the thing which makes the noise, is that black circular object on the bottom right - a piezo sounder. It has two black wires coming out of it. You need to find a way to break either one of those black wires, to insert a switch, or disconnect from those black connector things. I am not familiar with the latter items, so I cannot help you with how to disconnect from those..

It seems your only solution, is to cut one of the black wires. If you only want to quiet the sounder, I find a good solution is to stick a blob of bluetack, over the hole in the sounder..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back