interesting excuses for non payment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i did a small tiling job a couple of weeks ago, did it on contract for a constructions company at a private residence, job done, customer says to me after i finished, nice one im happy with it. i sent off invoice to construction company, a week later i had an email. custome is most unhappy with work done, tried to ring them, (company not customer) nothing. so i emailed them back, what is the problem? i will rectify immediatly.

problem 1 - wrong colour grout - i pointed out the grout and adhesive was supplied by company.

problem 2 - kitchen floor is uneven - im sorry to hear about that, but i did the downstairs wc

problem 3 - left a mess in the front room - i never went into the front room actually.

it seems they just dont want to pay, so after a couple of emails and replies they are now ignoring me. i know where the office is and have told them if i hear nothing from them will be down on manday to collect payment personally, if they have a genuine reason for non payment thats fine i will sort it.

just thought id share, i really dont expect this to be paid, but on principle i will be chasing this amount (£180) and i have told them i will add on costs too if the messing around continues

thanks for reading, any comments welcome.

Sponsored Links
might be worthwhile drafting up a small form to get the customer to sign saying that they are happy with the work done and that the jobsite was left in the same state of cleanliness that you found it in ( we've all had customers who were less than neat freaks... )

if they query it then you just explain that you've had some problems with some companies trying to screw you..

might be worthwhile drafting up a small form to get the customer to sign saying that they are happy with the work done and that the jobsite was left in the same state of cleanliness that you found it in ( we've all had customers who were less than neat freaks... )

if they query it then you just explain that you've had some problems with some companies trying to screw you..

a great idea, thanks for that

Sponsored Links

a great idea, thanks for that

common sense if your self employed to have your terms & conditions on the back of all your paperwork.
any quotes,job completed paperwork to be signed for before leaving.
paperwork to state date when job will start.
all materials listed
state payment terms, and any payment overdue are liable to interest at what ever % you put above the standard bank of england lending rate. on my paperwork it is 8% above the lending rate, charged at a daily rate + any legal charges.
you must get everything signed for.

All the above is great advice but I believe they must address the problems or so called problems to you in writing, by official letter head, and not e mail.

On receipt of this you can reply pointing out that their reasons for non payment are unfounded and that you have a letter from the customer stating their satisfaction - enclose a copy of this. Then - give them 7 days to pay in full or whatever term you wish to use but state that if payment is not received by this date then you will apply to have their company wound up :D

This will get the rear end twitching as no company likes the thought of being on the receiving end of a winding up order as it opens up too many cans of worms.

I bet you get paid :D Let us know how you get on

what's a winding up order and why do you have the right to get a company wound up for non payment.. surely it would just go to small claims for the amount mentioned, or to a larger court if it was into the thousands..?

Why not :eek:

If someone owed you money I bet you would do all you can to get it. I think its disgusting when someone does a good job and then gets fobbed off with pathetic reasons why they cannot be paid.

Small claims takes forever a winding up order is more effective and at the end of the day I don't give a toss what happens to a company that owes me money, let them go under who cares coz I bet they are doing it to other people as well.

And to close I would have very right to take this course of action :mad:

All the above is great advice but I believe they must address the problems or so called problems to you in writing, by official letter head, and not e mail.

:D

Not true, you only do it in writing so you you can produce evidence should it be required, & then you should use recorded delivery.

THere is a general rule, that if a person goes to the trouble of writing there complaint that they are more serious about it & expect a written reply.

just to update, apparantly the family are on holiday, so cant comment, thats why im being ignored, not because they are trying to stall even longer.

Not true, you only do it in writing so you you can produce evidence should it be required, & then you should use recorded delivery.

THere is a general rule, that if a person goes to the trouble of writing there complaint that they are more serious about it & expect a written reply.

This is rubbish the company/customer has to inform you in writing, before payment is due, with their reasons for non payment clearly laid out. This is clearly defined in the Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration act 1996. Check it out its there to protect you :D

www.creditman.biz/legal/conact.html

Sponsored Links
Back