Interesting Fault.

Once repaired/overhauled a small 3 phase motor for a guy with a wood shop where he made windows/doors etc.
Done the repairs and tested it fully, sent it back and thought nothing about it. Next day motor comes back with terminal block blown to bits and box full of carbon dust. Checks everything over, cleans up terminal box, fit new block, re-test and send back. Motor comes back late afternoon same problem. Strange! Goes through it all again, had witness check when I tested it and sent it back following morning confident I wouldn't see it again.

:eek: It was back in the afternoon with a VERY annoyed chippie asking what the f*%k I was playing at nearly killing him when ever he tried to switch his machine on. So, being humble and apologetic explained I couldn't understand what was happening as it always tested ok on our test bed. Repaired it AGAIN! and this time took it back myself to check his wiring. Isolator with correct motor fuses in it etc so said ok let your spark connect it up and I'll see what happens. "Oh I do all the sparking around here, I'm a one man outfit so have to do everything myself."

"CLANG, CLANG. CLANG, CLANG!!!

Alarm bells start to ring.

"Right," said I, "connect up but DO NOT switch on till I have done a few checks."

So he proceeds to connect 3 phase leads.....................

TO THE STAR POINT!!! :eek:

swore blind thats the way they were connected when he dis-connected it originally! :eek:

I connected it correctly and he stepped back when I switched on.

SUCCESS!

Needless to say he was billed for all my wasted time!

Sponsored Links
Reminds me of one.
"You`ve just rewired our house and the immersion heater is not working"

I had rewired 18 months previous.

checked immersion heater - stat wired across the heater.
They swore blind no one had touched it but had been working correctly until last week.
Yer right.

Another one - lights not working correctly.
"No ones touched it" when switch connections found to be faulty.
Recent decorations that could only be done with switch removal.
LOL

She insisted it had been installed 4 months prior & had only just gone wrong. She was extremely upset at my suggestion that she was lying & I ended up repairing it anyway... :rolleyes:
Did she pay for the corrective actions anyway, or did she get away with something?

Sponsored Links
I got confused(fairly easy these days)

You can`t confuse me .
I`ve been confused by experts!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back