interesting question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

i need a question answered which I'm not sure if there is any definite (written down) rules on.

I've got planning permission for an extension with a pitched roof.

I can't afford to put on a pitched roof and am happy to live with a flat roof for a few years until I can afford to finish the job.

Am I OK to put a flat roof on and wait until I put on the proper roof to get extension certified by council. Can the council make me take the roof off or finish it off?

Any leads would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You can put your flat roof on as a "temporary" measure (albeit a fully completed flat roof), but if you then finish the rest of the extension and/or occupy it, then it will be a material breach of your planning approval

If your flat roof is not noticed after four years,then no action can be taken by the planners

There can't be much cost difference in a completed flat roof and a part completed pitched roof, and fitting a flat roof and then changing for a pitched roof is even more costly and disruptive

So what you should do is form the pitched roof timbers and then just cover them with felt, membrane or a tarp, and then leave it like that until you can afford to finish it. Then you can still complete the internal work.

Building control may want you to completely finish it before occupation though, but they are unlikely to keep chasing you ... an update once a year may be requested from them, or they just file it until you request the final inspection

Sponsored Links
Four years for most development/unauthorised work contrary to planning regulations

Ten years for breach of a condition - ie if the OP's planning permission had a specific condition that the roof should be pitched, then it will be 10 years. But such conditions are rare

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back