Re-roofing - Changing pitch and height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently received planning permission for a GF extension after a long fight with the Local Council

Now looking at the roof (this was on the original application but pulled in order to give the council fewer things to object to) . I have three points with questions.....

I'd like to add some external wall insulation but the eaves will have to be extended to accomodate the build-up - this would necessitate a pitch change.

Installing a new roof to new Building Regs would require additional insulation - this would mandate a higher roof height by default

I'd like to replace a flat roof with a pitched one and Ideally, I'd like to vault the internal ceiling

Are local councils generally amenable to insulation improvements - is there any central government guidance I can cite to bolster my case?

Regards

Tet

Sponsored Links
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but most people seem to be able to ewi and highly insulate lofts/roofs without replacing.

Extending eaves does not require the whole roof pitch to be changed. Look at houses that have had EWI, same roof, same pitch.

Retrospectively insulating a roof does not necessarily mean the roof needs to be thicker.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for any misunderstanding caused.

My house is basically square with solid walls and a pitched roof that compromises every upstairs room - there is a 45-degree chunk out of all of them.

The roof is over a hundred years old and does need replacing anyway but you can imagine that this will affect every room as the inside of the angled rafters is where the (uninsulated) ceilings are affixed. I'd like to fit some external insulation on a couple of outside walls that would require a larger overhang from the eaves that would require a shallower angled roof (if the ridgeline is maintained) or a higher ridgeline (if the roof pitch is to be retained)

Regards

Tet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back