Intergas Open Vent Boiler - Hive Controls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, finally getting a new boiler after years of deciding, the Prima B is starting to slowly die!

Current Open Vent system, like for like replacement, looking at the Intergas OV or the Worcester Bosch 15RI, 2 different installers, 2 different recommendations,

We currently have British Gas Hive, will this work with both boilers like it does now?

We have a 3 way valve in the airing cupboard which allows both the heating and water to be heated at the same time in the mid position, do both boilers have this option?

I trust both of the engineers doing the install, but I would like to have some knowledge before they start messing around with the boiler!

Which boiler would you guys recommend?

Wife likes the Worcester as it looks easier to control temperature from the front, compared to the digital intergas with lots of buttons!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Intergas every time, the Wooshitter is full of plastic (it even has a rubber gas pipe) and terrible to work on as everything's crammed in tight. They're also much more dirt sensitive - if your system isn't clean enough to drink, the heat exchanger will slowly overheat and die. Intergas have never had a heat exchanger failure. Both will work with Hive, although there are more efficient controls available, especially for the Intergas

Temp is very slightly easier to adjust on the Botch, but you shouldn't really need to adjust it if your installer has set it up correctly in the first place

Incidentally you need to change a gasket on the Bodge every time you clean the heat exchanger as well, meaning higher servicing costs, and that rubber gas pipe also needs changing periodically as they have a habit of perishing and splitting. Neither is required with the Intergas

Thanks, think will go Intergas, the bosch fitter commented on how good their backup and warranty repairs and spare part availability is, but hopefully intergas wont need the spare parts!

Not moving from the Hive controls as its wife friendly!

So its simple for the hive to be wired into the Intergas?

The fitter is a platinum install for Intergas, so hopefully knows his stuff!

Sponsored Links
Also do intergas fit into standard cupboards, my potterton currently fits, but the pump is above the boiler, with the top mounted flue instead of the rear exit, I am not sure if space will be a bit tight

That's the way - better to have a boiler that doesn't need that kind of backup

It's very simple to fit Hive to an Intergas

Never heard of a standard cupboard, how big is yours? The 18kW OV is 590mm high (ex flue), 450mm wide, 240mm deep. If space is tight with the pump in place, go for the 18SB, which is the same physical size but has the pump inside the boiler. It can still be run on an open-vented system

If it's simple to understand for the wife then you want the the new Baxi EcoBlue Heat only boiler. It couldn't possibly get any simpler. In fact it just has a dial with big painted on numbers you turn. There's absolutely nothing else!

In its favour though, it is incredibly quiet to the point you can barely hear it even when nearby and it'll fit into a cupboard.

My cupboard is 600mm wide by 960mm high so hopefully it will fit

Just a update,I had the intergas fitted last week, bit of a pain as the cold feed from the tank in the loft was partially blocked, anyway seems to be sorted now, fit into the cupboard with a bit of a mess around with pipes.

Had to move the end panels that box the boiler in a inch forward to enclose the pump fully.

All in all happy with the boiler, radiators get hot far quicker than the old potterton and it has a 7 year warranty as I used a platinum 5 installer

Hive was apparently easy to install just direct wiring same as the potterton

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back