Connecting Hive to water controls on combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Worcester Bosch Heatslave 12/14 Oil Boiler. The unit has controls on the front that control both the water timer / advance and the heating timer / advance. I bought a Hive system and have successfully connected to the heating side of the boiler. I am not sure how I connect the water side of it. Can anyone help?

I currently have 4 connections to the Hive.

Permanent Live to Permanent Live, Neutral to Neutral, Thermostat connections to 1 and 3 on the Hive. I can't see anywhere with any instructions on how to connect the water part up.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you've bought the single-channel version when you needed to buy the two-channel version. If that's the case, you need to go back and buy the correct version

I don't have a separate water tank. It is a combi boiler just with different controls for the water. The hive thermostat I have has a button on the top for water boost. I have been told that I need to hook into the current controls on the boiler and bypass something. Just no Idea what. Thought someone might have had a similar setup.

Combi boilers provide instant hot water! Opening a hot tap is all the control you need! :confused:

Sponsored Links
You need hive dual channel not single to time/control the water for the heat bank on a highflow
All the hive stats have boost buttons for water/heat boost its the bit that's wired in that gives you that ability to use it on the stat.

Edit: does the receiver have two buttons on the bottom of it or one?

Well this one seems to have controls to warm a reservoir.
It does, and if you really do want to control the hot water part of it, you need to buy the 2 channel Hive.
There is no way to connect the hot water side with a single channel Hive or any other single channel device.

Even with a 2 channel device, this will just allow you to switch the hot water function on or off - and if it's been off for any length of time, you won't get any hot water until it has heated the internal tank.
Not heating it for some of the time won't save you much or even any money either - the majority of the operating cost will be the central heating, and most hot water losses occur in the pipework.

I don't really want my water on constantly. Won't that cost me a fortune? The boiler is in an out building meaning the temperature of the water is likely to drop quickly. It is currently on a timer for the times we mostly use the hot water. i.e. in the morning and evening. If we want a shower at an irregular interval we go outside to press boost. We want the Hive so we don't have to go outside in the freezing cold.

I will get a dual receiver. It's not quite as black and white as Hive make it out to be.

In all honesty it's nothing to do with hive you ordered the wrong kit unless there's another side to the story ??

Cgas, you say that but I only followed Hive's buying guide, which was my point. It states if you have a combi boiler (which I have) buy a single channel kit (which I did). IU you have a separate water tank (which I do not) buy a dual channel kit (which I did not).

It states if you have a combi boiler (which I have) buy a single channel kit (which I did). IU you have a separate water tank (which I do not) buy a dual channel kit (which I did not).
Most combi boilers require a single channel device.
Most people with a hot water cylinder require a 2 channel device.
There are always exceptions, such as your storage combi and people with more than one heating zone.

Branny68, did you find instructions for making this connection as I want to do the same thing but haven't explored yet. I have a dual channel (or will have shortly after reading this thread)... if you could point me in the right direction that'd be great. thx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back