Interior door frames in cavity walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been installing normal door linings,, they are about 132mm wide, but now I need to install two door linings on a cavity wall which is nominal 300mm thick, rather than 100mm of the internal walls.

I am not sure how to go about this. I am thinking the door lining will go over the one side of the cavity, as normal, then I will run a plasterboard on the reveals, just like we sometimes do for windows and external doors.

But looking at my current house here, it seems in a similar situation, they have used a very wide plank of timber to go over the whole cavity, and then fitted door architraves on both sides!

Sponsored Links
Which look do you prefer?
I just had a look at my current house where I have lived past 3 years and have visited almost daily past 25 years, and only now am I observing that going into the kitchen, door opening is through a cavity wall, they have plastered the reveals, and the door lining is only placed at the one side!

I would like to "board up" the reveal like a very wide door lining. I am not sure where I can get a 330mm wide plank of wood, with the right thickness too (28mm), I am thinking a piece of 25mm ply ought to do it? The only problem might be the rough edges would show on the two sides even after decorating.

Local saw mill. I have a saw mill attached to hardware/ diy store plus a timber supplier near me. Both could supply what you need after cutting and adjusting thickness of wood

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back