sliding door and cavity wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, would be grateful for some advice.

We're replacing an existing PVC window with sliding aluminium doors 2400mm wide. The depth of the aperture is 300mm comprising two 100mm brick skins and a 100mm cavity and the installers will be removing several courses to get it to floor level.

The depth of the window frame from front to back is 115mm, and the installers are allowing a 45mm rebate from the external elevation, which presumably means that the unit will be sitting on 55mm of brick and 60mm of cavity. Does that sound right? How would they fix something that heavy without filling the cavity first? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I assume they will fix into the external brickwork or use brackets

So I shouldn't be concerned, it's a common installation method? I just came across cavity closers but with such a heavy unit that will be sliding daily, I wondered whether it needed something more solid. Thanks

Its a common method, cavity closers are for closing cavity's and are not to be fixed into. Though might be a good idea if they used them if they haven't already,
That's used them to close the cavity's not for fixing into btw.

Sponsored Links
Nothing's been done yet. They've just been a bit vague. Initially they said they'd fill the cavity and then later said they'd use straps, so alarm bells starting ringing. But thanks, from what you say it doesn't sound out of the ordinary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back