Interior Door Handles Stuck Together

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, first time posting but hope you can help me out.

I'm replacing a couple of our interior door latches and one door has been fine but the other won't play ball.

I've removed all the screws from the handles including the small hex screws so now both handles are spinning freely but I cannot get them to part from one another. Both my fiancee and I have given them a good pull and they won't budge.

Any ideas?

(pic of handle in case anyone's familiar with a cunning trick)

Attachments

• IMG_2530.jpg
    IMG_2530.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 126
Sponsored Links
It could be that someone has previously used glue to fill the screw holes. We have similar handles and the screws are so piddly I had to reinforce the holes with glue.

i wondered if they had inadvertently been glued in place as well?

Assuming the caps have been unwound and the screws on either side have been removed the handles should pull out

Hmm perhaps. You might be right. I think there was only one of the hex screws that was there. I'll double check as it's a few days since I took them apart.

If they have been glued together is there an easy way to get them apart or am I calling someone with some tools in?

Only the hex screw holds them together, screws should be double ended And pass right thru door , if small screw were used it suggests installer was a novice , common mistake .Give them a sharp tap with a hammer, can help free them .

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yeah the screws into the door were small ones, they're all free. Hexes are out. I'll try having a go with the hammer and see how it goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back