How to remove door handles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to remove an old set of lever and paddle door handles from an aluminium front door, but cannot work out how to do it. I've successfully remove one grub screw with an Allen key, located on the inside of the interior side of the door, but the handle isn't coming off. I've also tried working the black plastic plugs out from the top and bottom of the interior side of the door but that doesn't seem to be working either. Any suggestions please?!

View media item 73510

Sponsored Links
presumably the handles are also aluminium and the spindles they are fitted to will be steel, a recipe for oxidisation unfortunately. Try rapping the handle down with a heavy wooden dowel, this might break the bond, otherwise you might have to cut the inner handle off and tap the spindle (complete with external handle) out from the lock...pinenot :)

I believe that you need to prise the handle backplate away from the door leaving behind the black plastic clips that hold the handle in place. It has nothing to do with the grub screw that will just remove the lever part

Sponsored Links
The backplates cannot be moved without the handles being removed. Please see photos now posted.

God is right.
The grub screws (or at least one need to be loosened) the handles are clipped onto plastic plates, They are very well clipped in.

Use some cloth or thin plastic against the door frame to prevent scratch's then tap a chisel in behind the handle with your hand (30mm from the top or bottom of the handle) Then lever it away.
Its a hell of a clip and will feel like your going to break something but it will pop off.

The backplates cannot be moved without the handles being removed. Please see photos now posted.

The handles are part of the backplates and come off together, the grub screw is there purely to clamp the lever to the spindle otherwise every time you tugged the handle you'd be trying to pull the handle off the black caps top and bottom

The handles are part of the backplates and come off together, the grub screw is there purely to clamp the lever to the spindle otherwise every time you tugged the handle you'd be trying to pull the handle off the black caps top and bottom

Sorry man I have to disagree on this one. The plastic back plates are separate from the handles. The plastic plates on the inside are bolted to the ones on the outside. You need to prize the handle away to reveal the bolts holding the plates.

I used to make these Monarch/Sapa aluminum doors.

Sorry you misunderstood, the lever/handle is part of the backplate, the backplate is clipped onto the black end caps which are themselves held to the door with a bolt through

Thanks Gazman16, your advice worked and you're right, it did feel like we where going to break something!

Sadly, we've discovered the replacement lever/lever handles are not suitable as there do not work independently of one another (they have one shared spindle rather than the current two). Is this the functional difference compared to a paddle/lever handle set .... Or just unlucky advice on stock available? Apparently our current model is not longer in production. Any suggestions on an alternative available?

Are you saying the PZ is different on both handles hence you have two spindles? If so you need to buy a set of lever/pad handles with the same PZ as your old ones, the PZ is the measurement from the centre of the spindle down to the centre of the keyhole (the upper circular part of the lock cylinder)

PZ is fine. If there wasn't the issue of the upper and lower screws in the wrong places, there is still the functionality issue that the handles need to work independently of one another (i'm assuming made partly possible by having two short spindles, rather than one long one as came in the new set).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back