Interior door not closing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my interior door in the hallway is closing it's slightly unaligned the hinge on the door looks like it is a little bent I have tried tightening the hinges but it hasn't worked is there anything else that I can do to sort the problem out many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Robf84, hi.

Tend to agree with Dave in last post, proviso No.1. is that the replacement hinges should be a close as possible match to the original hinges, makes re-fitting of the new hinges easier? Proviso No 2. obtaining a replacement set of hinges is dependant on the age of the hinges that are bent? OK obvious statement, sorry about that, you will not get replacement old thick steel hinges.

Or a bodge fix?? remove the hinges, and using a hammer straighten out the bent steel leaves of the hinge, assuming a fairly new type of hinge far from ideal but a not an un-known bodge fix, then just re-fit the hinges to the door and re-hang the door.

Fix depends on how badly deformed the bent hinge leave of the hinge is?

Ken.

In 40+ years of DIY, I have never seen a bent door hinge. The only way I think it could get bent would be that it is simply too weak. i.e. some one has used a cupboard hinge (metal thickness ~.8mm) instead of a door hinge (metal thickness > 1.6mm). So I would open the door and jam a chisel or some other wedge under it under the lock side. The hinges can then be unscrewed from the door frame. The door should then be propped up against a wall for the hinge(s) to be removed from the door. they can be straightened/replaced. To re-install the door, put the hinges on the door, balance on the wedge and engage the top hinge in its cut out, put in a couple of screws, but do not tighten them completely. Lift the door bodily so the lower hinge engages in its cut out and put some screws in, tighten the top screws, then the bottom.
Frank

Sponsored Links
Or stop leaving everyone guessing and post some goodpics of the hinges, showing the whole hinge and from angles that show whether or not they are bent.
A pic of the door in the frame and another of your cat. :)

Or stop leaving everyone guessing and post some goodpics of the hinges, showing the whole hinge and from angles that show whether or not they are bent.
A pic of the door in the frame and another of your cat. :)

You still looking for a pic of a nice pussy? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back