Interior door with broken hinge and can't remove painted screw?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any ideas? I don't want to have to get someone to replace the door. The door won't close due to the hinge.

door hinge.jpg

Sponsored Links
is it a wooden door and frame?

the hinge is a low-priced thing usually found on cupboards. I wouldn't consider it suitable for a door in a house.

The person who fitted it didn't own a chisel so was probably not an ace at woodwork.

pick out the paint from the screw head. Get a good selection of Phillips and Pozi screwdrivers and test them in the screw until you find one that actually fits. The wrong driver will cause damage and not undo the screw.

If necessary, you can loosen the screw by heating a screwdriver in a flame and pressing it to the screwhead. There will be smoke as the wood chars and loosens round the screw.

Or, if you have a drill, drill off the screwheads. Start with a 4mm drill. If you can get some left-handed drills, they may wind out the screw as you are working.

is it a wooden door and frame?

the hinge is a low-priced thing usually found on cupboards. I wouldn't consider it suitable for a door in a house.

The person who fitted it didn't own a chisel so was probably not an ace at woodwork.

Yeah wooden door..

Sponsored Links
Thanks. A drill did the trick. Was then able to replace the hinge and use existing screw holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back